Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1779

Subject: "LLC Member Leaving" Previous topic | Next topic
acct2Tue May-19-09 02:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"LLC Member Leaving"

I am a 50% partner in an LLC and my other partner is leaving the company. she wants to take some of our clients and leave me with the debt. We have only been in business 1 1/2, we lease our space and owe on a loan. We made a small project in 2008. I want to continue on as sole owner, and am trying to figure out how to split without it getting ugly. Any ideas? I think she should at least take half of the debt.

Tammy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

LochWulfFri May-29-09 03:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: LLC Member Leaving"
In response to Reply # 0

Examine the Operating Agreement for any 'divorce' provisions (which are usually found in standard boilerplate OAs). This section of the OA would provide the procedure and mechanism for unwinding the partnership.

If the OA does in fact cover this topic, then you'll either have to
(1) unwind the biz according to the dictates of the OA, or (2) mutually agree to 'override' the OA, and take a different approach (with "mutually agree" being the key words here!).

Although it seems intuitive at first glance that she should assume 1/2 of the debt, that's not necessarily required. You could, for example, assume her share of the debt (i.e., you take all of it); just make sure that you are fairly compensated for doing so. You might, say, retain the lion's share of the assets (clients?) to make up the diff.

You'll just have to 'value' the assets and the client base--tough but not terribly so. Also, be sure to check the loan agreement to see if there are any 'change of ownership' provisions that might be triggered upon your partner's departure.

Good accounting advice is golden in a situation like this--glad to hear you've got one on it. Ditto good legal advice. Best of luck!

...it was early and I was full of no coffee...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1779 Previous topic | Next topic