Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1721

Subject: "How do I present idea to company I work for" Previous topic | Next topic
MarionSat Apr-11-09 01:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How do I present idea to company I work for"

I own a unique cabinet I purchased in Europe many years ago that is not being sold in North America. I have always wanted to market it but it would cost me too much money to produce and market. I don't have a trademark for the cabinet because, from what I understand, a small change in the construction would still let someone else market it. Besides that, I don't have the money for a lawyer to get a trademark.

I recently started working for a major furniture manufacturer and will be over my probation in 1 month. The president of the company was the one who hired me for my position in their call center. They have facilities in various countries around the world and sell to the North American market. My cabinet would fit in perfectly with one of their lines and they have the capability of bringing this cabinet to market. Besides, they manufacture in the country I purchased it in.

I realize that I am not going to bring this to market without help. I want to present the idea to my company but I don't want them taking the idea, thanking me for it and I end up getting no reimbursement from the idea in return.

How should I present the idea to the company? I really don't want to pass up this opportunity to use my company to sell this furniture. If I don't go to them, I realize I will never sell it. I appreciate any input you may have.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How do I present idea to company I work for
Apr 14th 2009
Apr 14th 2009
Apr 17th 2009
Apr 17th 2009

annalaurabrownTue Apr-14-09 04:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: How do I present idea to company I work for"
In response to Reply # 0

you are walking a fine line with this one. Without a trademark you run the risk that no matter what you do and how you present it the company could take it and not give you any compensation. Personally I would not present it to the company without a trademark, it could backfire too easily. As far as how to market it to someone else, I'm not really sure but what about talking with some other furniture makers and trying to get a feel for if it would fly without giving them too many specifics.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

MarionTue Apr-14-09 05:28 PM

#2. "RE: How do I present idea to company I work for"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you for replying. I had a master carpenter who is a friend's father look at the furniture and he said it would be cost prohibitive to produce it in North America. How expensive is it to get a trademark? Can college students do it at a reduced rate?

paul10507Fri Apr-17-09 02:07 PM

#3. "RE: How do I present idea to company I work for"
In response to Reply # 0

Furniture design is impossible to patent or trademark. Any little change makes it meaningless unless its truly revolutionary.

As for dealing with your employer. Furniture designers are often paid by royalty. That is a certain amount on each item that is sold. Ask if they would entertain that concept if you provided designs.

Get a deal first before showing. In fact don't even tell them you have a particular design. They may have actually have some claim on your design since you work there.

MarionFri Apr-17-09 06:41 PM

#4. "RE: How do I present idea to company I work for"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you for this information. I hadn't known about royalties being paid for furniture designs. Do you know the percentage that companies pay in royalties?

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1721 Previous topic | Next topic