Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1719

Subject: "Starting From Scratch" Previous topic | Next topic
SjonesFri Apr-10-09 09:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Starting From Scratch"

Hello everyone, I have been a member of idea cafe for some time now and have received incredible advice and insight - so I am back in a different form . . . its called starting over.

Is it possible to take a hobby and create a $$ making business out of it? I am talking about my love of working with glass - primarily fused glass. I would not consider myself an "artist" as I do know many artists, but I do extremely enjoy creating with glass. I have been on Etsy.com and of course there are literally hundreds of people posting their "fused glass" items, many of which are very nice. My concern is, if so many people are doing it - what chance do I or others have of standing out and distinguishing myself from others in order to make a living doing something that I absolutely love.

As a side note, my husband welds and is very good at his hobby - so we are of course looking at ways to combine our joy of what we like to do - and make some money at it.

I have learned a lot in this forum and appreciate the importance in offering something different. I guess I am venting and hopiing for some sage advice at the same time. So often, just a simple comment can make a lightbulb go on and for some . . . the rest is history.

I appreciate any advice, guidance and straight up honesty. I will continue with my hobby regardless, but it is said so often that in times like these many successful companies are started. That is where I would like to be.

Thank you.

Sj

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Starting From Scratch
Apr 14th 2009
Apr 14th 2009
Apr 14th 2009
Apr 25th 2009

annalaurabrownTue Apr-14-09 04:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Starting From Scratch"
In response to Reply # 0

yes you do want to create some art out of it. Once you have it as art, you could sell it online via your own website, ebay, etsy etc.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

delaTue Apr-14-09 05:27 AM

#2. "RE: Starting From Scratch"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello

i'm in a kind of same situation only with a different product,
but i'm hoping to make a business of a hobby.

Here are my plans on how i will try to approach my goal,
and i hope they can help you to get in a good direction.

- Finish my school.

- Write a business plan (even if you do not need finance from a bank)
it will help you get a realistic view on how your business will
succeed, and what you should do to beat your competition.

- Get your own internet site with shopping cart. you could place
video's on your site and youtube, of you creating your products,
to promote your work

- Make brochure with pictures and prices of the products (pictures
and brochure should be done by a profesional, it needs to look
really good to represent you).

- Make appointments with store owners and present your work
and leave the brochure.

I do not have the space at home to transfer it into a shop
and the location is not so good as well, but if you have a good location, it is all the better.

I could have missed a few, but these some basic steps i got in my head that might get my to make a living out of my hobby.

I hope it can help you,
if it does, I do not want all the credit, some tips are from people on this forum

Best of luck

Deny

SjonesTue Apr-14-09 07:23 AM

#3. "RE: Starting From Scratch"
In response to Reply # 2

Thank you everyone for your ideas and encouragement. It is tough to get back on the horse sometimes when you put so much into creating a company to have it not work out the way you plan. So now with your encouragement I will continue to look for ways to take my hobby that brings me joy and turn it into $$.

All the suggestions are worth looking into. At least I will be enjoying what I am doing, while I wait for the market to turn around - which may allow me to take another look at my other company.

Thank you.

Sandie

SmarterToBarterSat Apr-25-09 07:01 AM

#4. "RE: Starting From Scratch"
In response to Reply # 3

It is tough to get back into the game. You really have to trust in yourself and want it. Don't let past mistakes in business discourage you. Remember the person the person that created the last business. You are NOT that person anymore. You now have more knowledge and experience. Think about the mistakes you made take ownership in them. If this is something you really have a calling for you will do it. I wish you the best.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1719 Previous topic | Next topic