Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #168

Subject: "Starting an "education business."" Previous topic | Next topic
oweaponxFri Oct-27-06 03:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Starting an "education business.""

I work in the library at my college. Many times, I am at the computers, showing people everything from how to transfer something between their floppy and flash drives, how to print something (especially web pages, to avoid all the ads), scanning, and so on. I had a lot of similar things when I had worked at the local VA hospital.

I am strongly looking at the possibility of setting up my own workshop for such a thing. However, the only place I've been able to find that would allow me to do it (the local University), would charge me $600 for 1/2 day, with a room having about 40 computers. If I wanted to have that many people, I fear I would not be able to give the assitance they need from attending the workshop. If I have a decent number, then I would have to charge more than I think they could be willing to pay, to not only cover the rental fee, but to make sure I cover living expenses.

I also looked into the possibility of trying to join up with one of the tutoring places around town, but they all want a Bachelors (I have an Associates).

I am very good with what I do, helping everyone from elementary age to senior, and have a huge level of patience for everyone I work with. But I can't work out how to best use my talents. Suggestions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Starting an "education business."
Nov 14th 2006
RE: Starting an "education business."
Nov 20th 2006

grafmanTue Nov-14-06 07:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Starting an "education business.""
In response to Reply # 0

There are a several things for you to consider.

One is setting up your own facility. If you go to ebay and look for "Dell 260" (there are others so this isn't necessarily a dell recommendation) you can find lots of 10 of these systems for around $3500.00. Add another $1500 for 10 flat panel monitors, $200 for cables and miscellaneous "stuff", and another $200 for a hub, $750 for a projector and a screen and you have an instant system set up. If you need software find a student to buy it at his or her student discount or if you have access to a library discount do that. The bottom line is that you can create a mobile classroom and all you need to do what it is you want to do for well under $10,000.

If you choose not to go for 10 computers then cut it down to 4 or 5. These machines are relatively small and portable. With wireless cards you can cut the transportation and setup down as well.

If you choose to go with laptops they run under $500 for one that would be more than adequate for your purposes and also be very portable.

Other options include online tutoring. Any web host that uses Fantastico add on software gives you access to Moodle. Its a great online education system and its free with fantastico hosting accounts. Just a couple off the top of my head are www.bluehost.com and www.hostrocket.com.

Writing ebooks or doing video with screen capture is inexpensive and easy to do.

Other alternatives are to inquire at companies in your area. Many small to medium companies have training rooms with 8 to 10 systems that they will let out for a nominal fee. I've rented them for less than $100 for an evening. Some will even exchange facility usage for you teaching their staff.

Lots of other alternatives as well. The difference between success doing something you'd like to do and losing an opportunity is being creative.

"Things are difficult only while you don't understand them."

bizdevMon Nov-20-06 10:21 AM

#2. "RE: Starting an "education business.""
In response to Reply # 0

Have you considered selling your services as a consultant?

You go to the client's home/business and coach them in whatever they need. That way you don't need to worry about renting a space or having equipment.

You can generally charge more as a consultant too. You could send out a questionaire prior to your training day to find out exactly what type of training they need and tailor your services to their needs.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

Lobby Startup Stew topic #168 Previous topic | Next topic