Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1514

Subject: "Business going haywire" Previous topic | Next topic
toneloc007Fri Sep-26-08 08:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Business going haywire"

Ok I need some advice on what I should do. My youngest brother and his partners just started a new business that is marketing a great product. Its in the field of marketing. I got on just for now to generate some money for myself because I have been out of work. I basically am a tele-sales person. So I am in the office all day and I see and hear EVERYTHING that goes on, meetings, conversations on phones, etc. My brother and his main partner both have no experience running a business. They have all the experience in their field when it comes to putting all together, its not there. Well, its gotten to a point now where there is some serious friction between him and his partner and their investors. I see all the things that they are NOT doing, for I've owned my own business. They're business IS falling apart for the wrong reasons. What should I do? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Business going haywire
Sep 27th 2008
RE: Business going haywire
Sep 29th 2008

PhanntomSat Sep-27-08 04:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Business going haywire"
In response to Reply # 0

I tend to be the no nonsense type when it comes to business. Given you've had experience running a business you see all things they overlook. They probably overlook them because they aren't even aware they need them. I don't believe you can sit back and say nothing...you do that and the investors will end up getting rid of your brother and his partner. Even if they are minority investors it's no reason for your brother and his partner to think they can't be tossed out. Anytime you have investors you have a fiduciary duty to always act in their interest, when you're not, they usually have no problem ousting you legally.

If it were me, I'd take them out to a neutral location away from the office and deal equally with both of them...don't soften when addressing your brother and being more critical with his partner. It's the only way they're going to take it to heart.

Just explain what you see wrong and maybe suggest a division of labor and responsibility. That's the way my partner and I handle things. When she came into the business about 13yrs ago, I was still trying to handle everything as I'd always done. Finally we set up areas of responsibility. Except for times she's on vacation, I don't do anything she's responsible for...I haven't made a single invoice in 10yrs. The accounting function is her area...I stay out of it. Production is under my purview. For the most part, I deal with the strategic and she handles the tactical. If you can talk your brother and partner into an arrangement similar to this even though it will take time to adjust, it might smooth things out for them.
Good luck
Denny

Denny

toneloc007Mon Sep-29-08 01:28 PM

#2. "RE: Business going haywire"
In response to Reply # 1

Great points...thanks.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1514 Previous topic | Next topic