Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1311

Subject: "Scared!!" Previous topic | Next topic
pabryMon Jun-09-08 06:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Scared!!"

I have been wanting to open my own buisness for about ten years now. I have come up with several ideas to go with such as a roller skating ring, a hot wing restraunt, a teen hop, an arcade place and a teen clothing shop. After much research, the skating ring is too costly, the hot wing thing is too boring, a teen hop or an arcade place is ok but I am really leaning towards the teen clothing shop. The teen clothing shop seems easier to manage and I have two older sons who can help me with today's fashions. Also, I live in a small town that has a Wal-mart, two clothing stores, one grocery store and three dollar stores. With today's gas prices, many parents can't afford to go out of town which is 60 miles to the nearest mall and buy up to date fashionable teen clothes. I really think this idea could work but I am scared of failure. I have researched some of the distribution companies but I don't know which one to trust. I want my store to carry both boys and girls clothes in today's fashion for all. I am going to have today's music playing in the store with eye catching posters and coupons will be available in the local newspaper for discounts. Still, I am scared of failure.... Oh.. I even have some names, Juvy's, Thumber, Wssup and many more. Of course, these were ideas from my 16 year old.

Patricia Bryan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Scared!!
Jun 17th 2008
Jul 21st 2008
Jun 27th 2008

bizdevTue Jun-17-08 07:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Scared!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, at least you're realistic enough to be scared. You have good reason to be scared. A brand new business, especially a retail shop, can be very costly and very difficult to keep afloat. You would likely not make a profit for the first couple of years (or longer). Just meeting monthly expenses can be difficult for a new start up.

Have you started to write up a business plan yet? That should be your first project to find out if the idea is viable.

Do you have a good $50,000 - $100,000 for start up costs? Surprisingly, even a small clothing shop will run you that much just to open. It will then take a while to develop a strong enough customer base to cover your monthly expenses. You will need to have set aside enough cash to get you through the first year or so.

I offer so much great information in my start up kit (below) that could really help you decide which way to go. Take a peek.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

davebirchallMon Jul-21-08 11:49 PM

#3. "RE: Scared!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Sylvia is right although for every risk there may be a way of offsetting it.

WRITE THE PLAN

Even if no one reads this, its critical for getting your thought together and to make you realise what you in for.

Get as much help as you can. There are numerous places to get coaching and advise so make the most of them. You can use planhq to get your plan online and to collaborate with others if your think that would suit you. Otherwise you can simply download a template from pleantly of other websites.

Here's a critical question to answer honestly...

"Why do you want to start a business?"

If its independance you seek. Consider being self employed instead. It could be a quicker route to happiness for some people. Less complicated. Less risk. Less staffing problems, headaches.....

All that a side, Starting your own business can be hugely rewarding so good luck if you go ahead.

Get you free business systems healthcheck at...

www.davebirchall.com

jswank02Fri Jun-27-08 04:22 AM

#2. "RE: Scared!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't be scared be smart.

make sure you have a Business and Marketing Plan. Going through this process with wake you up to whether the business is just a dream or a reality.

If you want some ideas how to start just contact me.

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
www.jswank.com
info@jswank.com

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1311 Previous topic | Next topic