Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #127

Subject: "Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
SDenterprisesTue Oct-17-06 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!"

Global Treks - www.freewebs.com/samanthad25

My second website is up and running, but there's a slight issue. I had received quite a negative comment basically accusing me of being one of those internet predators trying to lure children in. (The Post has been subsequently deleted.)

How do I make changes to the website so that they would feel secure enough to use my business???

Any ideas or thoughts would be really appreciated!
Thanks in Advance

Samantha Drane
SD Enterprises

http://strykerdesigns.ecrater.com
http://www.strykerdesigns.blogspot.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!
Oct 18th 2006
Oct 26th 2006
Oct 27th 2006
Oct 28th 2006
Oct 28th 2006
What do you guys think of this?
Oct 29th 2006
Oct 31st 2006
Nov 04th 2006

lesliepichardoWed Oct-18-06 07:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

This is quite difficult, I read the comment and what it said was surprisingly true. Perhaps for starters......how about including a picture of yourself along with your children in the website? And try to get some sort of certification.......I dont know exactly where, do some research.....try http://www.netsmartz.org/

Regards,

Leslie
www.firstidnj.com

bizdevThu Oct-26-06 04:39 AM

#2. "RE: Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I would advise that you have a professional web site created. That helps instill more confidence that you are a serious business owner and not just some fly by nite predator using freebie web sites.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

AdlavrinelFri Oct-27-06 04:10 PM

#3. "RE: Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

One thing that you could do is put some educational materials on the site in order to reveal what your business does. If you are teaching about nature put some child like drawings of trees and maybe dogs and cats. Another thing you could do is use puppets to teach about kindness and understanding and place the puppets on the website. This may help people see that you are not some sick freak after their babies. Although I don't understand why someone would be that drastic in their thinking because obviously they didn't search your site thoroughly or they would have subsequentally found your about me page and seen that you are not some nut preying on children. Whom ever that was is an idiot to make assumptions like that. Sorry that this happened to you. Good luck with your venture.

randwteesSat Oct-28-06 08:04 AM

#4. "RE: Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I can see where that might be a little suspicious to parents...Especially with the nightly news telling parents that there are guys wearing nothing but trenchcoats on every computer besides theirs.

Along with the other suggestions, is there any way to send the letters through the parents, so they can be sure they are safe. I know that takes away the magic of the letter addressed "to the child" but it might be an option anyway.

Ron

visit our websites at www.randwtees.com and security.randwtees.com

gloworldSat Oct-28-06 03:33 PM

#5. "RE: Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Samantha,

I commend you on taking the plunge and getting your business started. I have been trying to do for a while now but excuses always come up. My idea is actually a little similar to what you're doing but you have a whole new twist which I think is great!

In any case, I just wanted to give you my 2 cents about "the post" on your website. My suggestion would be to remove the guestbook and to encourage visitors to kindly e-mail you with any questions, concerns, comments, etc. I see it this way: I go to your website to check out your product and I like what I see BUT then I come across a post like the one that is still on there and think to myself...hmm, maybe that lady is right, the author of these letters could be some perv trying to get friendly with my kid and then I become discouraged and go on to another website...

I'm just saying that having an open guestbook opens up a can of worms...

SDenterprisesSun Oct-29-06 10:31 PM

#6. "What do you guys think of this?"
In response to Reply # 5

First and formost, thank you to all of you! You have all given me a lot of great advice and different avenues to explore. Based off the advice I've been given, let me throw out an idea for you all to ponder over Halloween...

What if I sent out a package which includes a children's privacy policy,A sample postcard from both characters, a background on myself (so parents will feel a bit easier),An Order Form & form for the parents to fill out about their kids(names,ages,hobbies would be the only things asked).

What do you guys think? I could offer that via mail, or via the parent's e-mail address? Would this make parents feel any easier?

Thanks in advance (yet again! )

Sam

Samantha Drane
SD Enterprises

http://strykerdesigns.ecrater.com
http://www.strykerdesigns.blogspot.com

1of3Tue Oct-31-06 10:28 AM

#7. "RE: Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Samantha,

First let me say you have a very well designed website that conveys the letter writing experience well.
As a parent I asked who are the ?global adventurers?? and as far as privacy are the people writing my child going to have my child?s address or does the mail get re-mailed from your HQ? Maybe if you clarify your global adventures and list some example letters that will be sent to the children, this would help.

Fee hosting and is not good for a business. You can get a business website for as low as $10US per. Month. This will add credibility as well. Feel free to email me for details on hosting companies. I have two that I have worked with that I like very well.

Toby

**ONLY LOSERS PAY FOR LEADS** Discover how average people with no marketing backgrounds are getting prospects to pay them....NEVER PAY FOR TRAFFIC AGAIN!!!
http://trogers12.payitforward4profits.com

bizenezSat Nov-04-06 03:34 PM

#8. "RE: Website needing to be more parent friendly??? Help!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

First of all you sound like you need the services of a professional website company. Alot of people say that you can build your own website and get great results. Anybody can build a website but not everybody can build a website that attracts customers and makes them want to use your service. Learning about web design takes alot of time to learn and also to build if you want it done right. And web design programs can be hard to learn, expensive and doesnt mean you will know anything about how to build the best kind of website.

Alot of people might disagree with what im saying, which is perfectly fine. But a true professional will know how to do the best job on your site. Would you hire a plumber to do surgery on you? Or would you hire a surgeon to do plumbing? Also another myth that you will hear is that website development is extremely expensive. I recently talked to a client who was surprised to get a quote from me for a website alot cheaper than the competition.

My company is legally registered to provide web services in NY State. Also we provide fast and honest service along with a legal contract to protect you and provide peace of mind.

I will look over your site, tell you whats wrong, fix it, help you with affordable and reliable hosting and guarantee you a quality job that you can look over before having to pay for it.

You can contact us at contactbizenez@bizenez.com
And dont be afraid to send us a message asking any question you may have. Even if you don't pay for any of our services we will offer answers to your questions free of charge.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #127 Previous topic | Next topic