Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1166

Subject: "Reg: Advice on where to begin" Previous topic | Next topic
gigglegirlsWed Mar-19-08 01:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Reg: Advice on where to begin"

Hello Everyone,

I have a great idea for starting up a new business. I have the name picked out and the general idea for my small business. However, I am absolutley clueless on how to get started. There are a million questions running in mmy head like where to hire employees, where to order supplies, how to go about payroll, insuranse, liscense etc. etc. If anyone can take the tim eto help out just to give me a general blue print, I would be so greatful.

Sincerely,
Nichole

nichole

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

beckybeeThu Mar-20-08 09:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Reg: Advice on where to begin"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Nicole,

It's a daunting task when you're trying to start a business without any background knowledge, not to mention a huge leap of faith, but keep telling yourself "If thousands of other clueless people have done it before me, so can I".

1. First of all, it's a really good idea to write yourself a business plan. This is useful not only so <i>you</i> know where you want the business to go in the future, but it shows banks or investors or even suppliers that you're serious about how you run things.

2. It takes a lot of time to research what you need in terms of licensing and registrations etc. I had a crack at a small online business once and all I remember is scanning through pages and pages on the internet and writing a lot of emails to people asking questions.
Where do you live? I used to have a small online business in the state of ACT in Australia. I researched what and how much I could and couldn't stock in my own home, plus (not that this applied to me but was interesting to note) I found out I wasn't allowed to have a store front for people in my house because it broke some of the rules for stock storage and parking accessability for customers.
There should be a government website for your state that deals specifically for business start ups, and should also tell you about tax do's and don'ts. It may even have links to government funding.

3. Register your business name (it may cost a little bit, I think mine was only about $100) and register the type of business you will run. After all, you could be a supplier, a partnership, a sole trader etc. You should then receive a business registration type number which will allow you to register with suppliers.

4. Find other business similar to yours and ask if they could point you in the direction of a good supplier. Some businesses are quite willing to help. If not, the internet is virtually a HUGE database of suppliers willing to trade. Business2business marketplace websites are set up specifically for suppliers looking to sell their wares at wholesale prices to business owners. An example is http://www.alibaba.com

Because I only ran a very small online business (an not very successfully because I wasn't passionate about the product), I only have this much advice to give. If you need to rent or buy a shop front there will no doubt be other rules and regulations involved with that, which I unfortunately cannot help you with. Like I said, search your local government website. It's usually a good starting off point.
Hope this helps a little.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1166 Previous topic | Next topic