Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1133

Subject: "Ruthless Compitition!" Previous topic | Next topic
JasonMon Mar-10-08 10:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ruthless Compitition!"

I started my bussiness in the Roofing and repair Ind. after working for every body and their brother in th biz. I helped several of them get rich w/ my skills and when
I would bring up the time for me to get rich talk they ran. I made the mistake of partnering up w/ a family member that ended badly. Finally Me and my wife just "cut off the utilitys" and are going for it on our own! So far it's been real hard. We just have nothing. But we are just so excited because we think it's starting to work. Were finaly starting to look at getting some serious Ins. and are working at getting one of the many confusing types of bussiness lic. I think she said it was an S-corp. Well any way when the ball started to get rolling real well alot of the other guys I've worked w/ started seeing me around the supply stores and we have been running into each other on some bids and est. I've always been polite and well wishing to them and so it seemed they were to me until some nasty rumors and threats would surface from the mouth of a customer or supplier. It's getting worse and worse. Sometimes we feel like giving up we have almost nothing left after a rough start w/ the family member and can't afford to loose ANY customers. It seems like the name in this game is "Big guy cut's the head off the little guy". I'm a fighter and would love to hear the outcome of
a story or would love to get some advice on how to defend our investment.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

nightskyFri Apr-04-08 08:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Ruthless Compitition!"
In response to Reply # 0

Something happens to people when money is involved. They change and can become vicious. That is what is happening with the people you used to work with and with your family member who was in business with you.

Partnerships are terrible... and even worse with friends and family. They generally end with everyone hating each other. (Now I realize that they can work, and even know a few that have, but I would say that the majority end in a ball of fire)

I would suggest that you just keep plugging away at it, not saying ANYTHING bad about ANY other company, only telling why you are the company that they want to deal with. You can say something about the fact that they loved you and you were the top employee until you branched out on your own... and that is when all of a sudden, you were a monster. Kind of do it in a joking way and your customers will get it.

One mistake would be to undercut them by a lot. A low price will just slowly bleed you to death until you go out of business.

I started out at a fair price for my skills, when I first stared out in business and gradually raised my prices as I was more able to fill the customers needs and when my product got better. Remember that an advantage that you have over the competition is that you can adapt better to the customer than a larger company. But, one big loss could also sink you faster too. Charge a fair price that might be a little less than the other guys... but you also have less overhead too.

I am now the most expensive person in my industry and I also have the best product. I even painted over a mural that another company had painted (only one week earlier) when the customer saw what my product looks like. I did it for her at no cost because she had me do some other work in another room.

Give the customer more than they expect and you will start to get a lot of referrals. If you show up on time, do the job in a timely manner, look clean cut, always keep the customers yard picked up clean and then come in at what you promised, or a little less... then you will not have any competition for long. And, you will not have to advertise very much either because the word of mouth will spread.

Some neighbors jsut had a new roof put on and the guys did not look or act like the typical roofers. They were all clean cut, didn't swear, didn't blast the music for the rest of the neighborhood to "enjoy" and they were always cleaning up the mess that was being made. I can promise you that they will get many referrals from jsut those of us who watched them work.

Oh... I would also put a large sign up while you are working, with your name and number... so that people driving by can jot it down. YOu can have something made that you put in front of your truck, in the street. If you are good and people can see the good work that you do... then they will write your number down. Even if they don't need a new roof... they may know of two or three other people who do.

Good luck...

Jeff
www.NightSkyMurals.com
(Dealerships Available)

>I started my bussiness in the Roofing and repair Ind. after
>working for every body and their brother in th biz. I helped
>several of them get rich w/ my skills and when
>I would bring up the time for me to get rich talk they ran. I
>made the mistake of partnering up w/ a family member that
>ended badly. Finally Me and my wife just "cut off the
>utilitys" and are going for it on our own! So far it's
>been real hard. We just have nothing. But we are just so
>excited because we think it's starting to work. Were finaly
>starting to look at getting some serious Ins. and are working
>at getting one of the many confusing types of bussiness lic. I
>think she said it was an S-corp. Well any way when the ball
>started to get rolling real well alot of the other guys I've
>worked w/ started seeing me around the supply stores and we
>have been running into each other on some bids and est. I've
>always been polite and well wishing to them and so it seemed
>they were to me until some nasty rumors and threats would
>surface from the mouth of a customer or supplier. It's getting
>worse and worse. Sometimes we feel like giving up we have
>almost nothing left after a rough start w/ the family member
>and can't afford to loose ANY customers. It seems like the
>name in this game is "Big guy cut's the head off the
>little guy". I'm a fighter and would love to hear the
>outcome of
>a story or would love to get some advice on how to defend our
>investment.

Jeff S.
Night Sky Murals
Award Winning Murals

www.NightSkyMurals.com (Product)
www.DarkSkyMurals.biz (Business Opportunity)

Featured in...

* The Robb Report's "Luxury Homes" magazine -
* Angies List
* in Affluent
* HGTV's show - "I Want That"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1133 Previous topic | Next topic