Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #993

Subject: "Inventory control/POS Questions??" Previous topic | Next topic
mnorth06Sat Nov-03-07 03:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Inventory control/POS Questions??"

I have a very small poster business and sell them in two locations at this time. I would like to have a system where I can bring in my laptop, scan barcodes(that I print?) and be able to see what has been sold monthly and be able to place new orders, and know
which location needs to be restocked.

The system I have right now takes hours using excel and is very error prone.

I am looking for the most cost effective way to stay on top of my inventory. The gross sales average $300-400/mo during the year and $1000-1200 during the holidays. I do not think it is a wise choice to get the $1000 POS systems but can seem to find a cheaper solution. Does anyone have any resources or ideas??

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Matt

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Inventory control/POS Questions??
Jan 10th 2008
RE: Inventory control/POS Questions??
Feb 17th 2008

PepperfireThu Jan-10-08 09:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Inventory control/POS Questions??"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Matt,

We often find ourselves in need of machinery that we only use rarely, and we have two companies who rent the most interesting things who supply us with these items as wee need them... Perhaps you can look into renting the POS once a month by the hour?

I obviously don't understand the logistics of such a thing, because I don't use one, but if that could work, I'd look into it.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

grafmanSun Feb-17-08 09:48 AM

#2. "RE: Inventory control/POS Questions??"
In response to Reply # 0

While I agree with the fact that sometimes we get stuff we don't use very often, I know that a decent barcode system is something that you can find a zillion uses for.

If you get a setup that saves you 10 hours and if you look at it as your rate is $50 per hour, you can very quickly justify the purchase.

A USB wand that will fit directly onto your laptop is well under $100, a barcode printer is under $100, and usually the barcode wand will come with some software to help you create and read the barcode stickers and assign the data to some storage source like excel or access. So for under $300 and a little time to learn how to use it you can have an amazingly effective time saver.

You can also use these things for home inventory, and direct feeds into Point of Sale POS systems. I'd recommend getting one of the free use gun units with a usb connector that will let you upload to your PC or laptop. These are easier to deal with and carry around. Mostly under $200 you can have them set up to read multiple features and have multiple codes on one retail item.

Make sure that you get a decent printer that can use pre-formatted stick on code stickers.

There are some very good free applications out there that let you use barcodes for inventory or provide a basic sales and order processing system.

All the best.

Gail

"Things are difficult only while you don't understand them."

Lobby Startup Stew topic #993 Previous topic | Next topic