Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #804

Subject: "Just not sure..." Previous topic | Next topic
tkelleyThu Jul-05-07 01:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Just not sure..."

Hi and thank you for stopping by my post.
As I have stated in my Subject I am just not sure what to do.
I have a couple of business posibilities but not sure of exactly what to do...

I am currently working for a major Medical insurance company in my area in the pharmacy department and no I am not a pharmacist.

I am in my 40's divorced with 4 kids and am also looking to possibly go to nursing school in spring of 2008.

I ran a small injet recycling business a few years ago but my partner and I lost intrest after he got married and I decided to start back to school.

I also was a Dj back in the 90's for a few years but gave it up due to not spending enough time with my family.

A friend of mine told me about a business that he started in copywriting business that he got into and seems to be doing fairly good with.

I also thought about diong something like a vertual assistant.

I also have good computer skill.

Ok so what is my question.

Like most people I need time. Time to study, Time to spend with my kids and some time for myself but also need money to exsist.

What to do...
Do I get back into the dj business. Great money and not alot of time spent except on weekends when I have my children.

Go back the injet recycling business and try it by my self. ( I have everything ready to go just need a new name for the company)

Or try and do one of the others. that I have talked about?

Would love to here some feedback.
Thanks
tom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Just not sure...
Jul 05th 2007
Jul 10th 2007
Sep 11th 2007

hostingdivaThu Jul-05-07 11:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Just not sure..."
In response to Reply # 0

Tom -

You can't start a business if you don't know what you want to do. Also, any new business is going to take A LOT of time - no matter what that business is going to be.

Also, how are you going to go to school (and study), start a new business, and spend time with your kids? I'm sorry, but time is not on your side... You may be better off taking out loans and going back to school. Nurses are in high demand and going back to school for something that is going to be in demand for many years to come sounds like a good plan to me.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

adeenajmTue Jul-10-07 02:41 PM

#2. "RE: Just not sure..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Tom,

First... obviously you have income needs (i.e., you need to take in $X/month). If you have any savings, then you can factor that into to how many months you can go without an income. This will put some bounds on what you might feel comfortable trying, and might rule out some things that might not be possible given your current life situation.

Second... the way I figured out which business to do was to just start writing a business plan. I started working on one as an idea, and if the written plan itself didn't work out, then there is no way the business idea was going to work. I went through about 6 or 7 of these ideas and plans before I found the one that became my retail store (that's been in business for 5 years).

I have a similar "attention span" issue - I've tried lots of things in very different areas (I'm an engineer my training/college, but my business is a retail paint-your-own-pottery studio)

Good luck!

-Adeena Mignogna
Author of "Cute Little Store: between the entrepreneurial dream and business reality"
http://cutelittlestore.net

gojigirlTue Sep-11-07 05:21 AM

#3. "RE: Just not sure..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hello Tom,

I completely understand about family time. My husband and I have a concrete construction business, but winter months are slow, so we researched a lot of different business opportunities and we found FreeLife. We have a great group of people all working together to build our businesses and that gives us all more time to spend with our families. What is great about this business is you are already into health and wellness and Himalayan Goji juice and the nutritional products from FreeLife our the best of the best, backed by one of the worlds #1 nutritionist Dr. Earl Mindell. I look forward to talking to you about this opportunity.

"Functional beverages are becoming a multi-billion dollar industry"
Join Today and get your piece of the pie!
www.fawn.freelife.com
Email: goji_girls@yahoo.com

Lobby Startup Stew topic #804 Previous topic | Next topic