Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #740

Subject: "Need some creative ideas for funding the startup" Previous topic | Next topic
nlmccreWed Jun-13-07 02:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Need some creative ideas for funding the startup"

While the idea of running my own business is exciting, I am also scared to death. I am on a seriously tight timeline and funding has been a big problem. Here's the reason:

I have previously been in retail for most of my life. Three years ago I got my EMT license and held a job as an EMT; a job that I loved. I spent 50-75 hours a week helping people and saving lives.

It was in March that I hurt my back at work and the "team" of doctors tell me that it could be at least another year before I can return to work. My comp case is in litigation and I am currently collecting unemployment (and being a guinea pig for tests). So, in order to not have to rely on what I am supposed to be getting from comp combined with the desire to not lose the house, I thought that I would start my own Bath and Body business.

To keep the initial costs low, I would actually turn my family room into a small shop until I have enough capital to open a store in town. I have my suppliers lined up and plan for things to go on a specific route.

By the end of the first year-run the shop out of my house until I have the funds for a storefront in town.

Second year-go corporate with a handful of employees.

Fourth year- be listed on the NYSE

By year ten-start franchising and possibly a home party plan, and have a truckload of employees.

The sad part is that the only thing that stands in my way is a mere $1000.00, which would allow me to produce a line of about 15 products in at elast 20 fragrances. I can't get a loan because I'm not working, and the fact that I'm not working has blown my credit to hades and back. I have no one to borrow from. And on top of all of this...I have less than five months to get started and begin bringing in money. I have applied for one grant already and am in the process of getting a business plan put together, which luckily for me, will be paid for by the state, thanks to unemployment.

If anyone has any ideas...please! Toss them my way. I could use all of the help I can get right now. If you would like, you can call me at 814-765-3332.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Need some creative ideas for funding the startup
Jun 13th 2007
RE: Need some creative ideas for funding the startup
Jun 13th 2007

bizdevWed Jun-13-07 08:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Need some creative ideas for funding the startup"
In response to Reply # 0

Before you go any further with this...have you checked with your local government offices to be sure you're not breaking any laws, ordinances or have issues with zoning? Most towns don't allow you to run a business out of your family room. I assume you mean you will have customers buying out of your home?

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

nlmccreWed Jun-13-07 09:00 AM

#2. "RE: Need some creative ideas for funding the startup"
In response to Reply # 1

As a matter of fact, I have. Our town is pretty rural in comparison to some other areas. The whole county only has 76,000 people in it. This includes a small city called DuBois about 1/2 hour from here. As long as it's not a naughty shop (I assume you know what I'm referring to), or an eyesore, the Borough is fine with it.

Our town has been on a decline, so any respectable business that opens in Clearfield would be a welcome one.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #740 Previous topic | Next topic