Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1172

Subject: "I'm confused - I registered my domain name, now what?!?" Previous topic | Next topic
lilly4Wed Mar-26-08 11:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I'm confused - I registered my domain name, now what?!?"

I registered my domain name with GoDaddy just so that it will be secure and I can work on a website little by little as I get my business off the ground.

However, I'm confused - after going on www.instantdomainsearch.com and typing in my biz name, it still says "available", and I registered the name today. It shouldn't still be available!
Also, what do I do now regarding a website? Like most small biz newbies, I can't spend a lot per month on a website host - but how could I build it myself? I guess I wasn't sure what registering with GoDaddy came with - I thought it meant a website was included.
Now I know that it's not!

Any info/advice?

Thanks!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I'm confused - I registered my domain name, now what?!?
Mar 28th 2008
RE: I'm confused - I registered my domain name, now what?!?
Mar 31st 2008

saltedFri Mar-28-08 05:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I'm confused - I registered my domain name, now what?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

From what I've heard, godaddy is one of the most affordable quality hosting companies available. Some hosting companies will offer some sort of website building tool, but I wouldn't recommend it. Most of the time the websites end up looking unprofessional because they are so limited in features and presentation. How much website experience do you have? That will determine what kind of route you should take as far as creating/obtaining an actual website.

As far as your domain name still appearing to be available, I'm not sure why that happened, except that it might take time for the other domain name registries to process your purchase from godaddy and take your domain name off their list.

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

jswank02Mon Mar-31-08 10:49 AM

#2. "RE: I'm confused - I registered my domain name, now what?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mine showed as available to it just takes some time (a few hours) Registering a domain name comes with nothing except maybe an e-mail address.

Websites on Godaddy are seperate as with many other sites. I myself use register.com

Joanna Swank

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1172 Previous topic | Next topic