Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #158

Subject: "saving my job" Previous topic | Next topic
hoffalSun May-04-08 01:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"saving my job"

I resently found out my neighbor is quietly looking for a new company and I'm affaird he may apply at the one I work for. I know they are hiring. right now I'm a supervior fairly new to the position and I like it alot, but there is no way I can hold a stick to him. I have gone to him with production and ligistic problems in friendly conversation and he snapped off ideas that made me look great at work, he probably forgets more about welding and machining than I will ever know. and he is atleast 5 years younger than me. I think if he applies at my company they will demote me or lay me off to give him the money he is looking for which i'm sure is more than i make. would it be wrong to tell him to stay away or should I just hope they can't afford him???? any ideas??? thanks, jay

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

PepperfireMon May-05-08 09:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: saving my job"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-05-08 09:40 AM by Pepperfire

I do hope that your employer isn't about to bring someone in to replace you.

If they are hiring, I would assume it is because they need another employee, not because they want to replace you.

If I were you, I'd have a discreet little chat with your boss, about your fears of them hiring someone who is better at your job than you are, and see how he reacts. If once you are alleviated that they aren't replacing you, then I would suggest to your employer that the person who taught you some/a lot of what you know is available, but he's obviously more expensive than you, should they like an introduction.

You look brilliant, as an asset to your employer, and your neighbour loves you for finding him this position...

Think outside of the "YOU" box and you'll find a win/win/win solution for everyone concerned.

Good luck,

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #158 Previous topic | Next topic