Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4932

Subject: "Idea to grow business for convenience store owners" Previous topic | Next topic
sbgtradingThu Jan-24-13 06:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Idea to grow business for convenience store owners"

I'm looking for input...if there are any convenience store owners out there who want to grow their business, I believe I have a unique idea, but their feedback is essential.

I'm not in the convenience store industry, so I admit I really need some experienced input on this idea.

Most (if not all) convenience stores sell lottery tickets. As I understand it (from reading the Powerball website and other state lottery sites), these owners pay nothing for the lottery equipment, signage, etc...but they get a percentage of the prize money whenever a winning ticket is purchased at their store. So naturally, these store owners want to sell a lot of tickets, and all they need is motivated buyers.

That's where this business idea comes in. I think it would be valuable to partner with local convenience store owners to start their own "lottery clubs" in their particular neighborhoods.

A quick summary of what a lottery club is...the idea of a lottery club is for dozens (or hundreds) of members to join and each member to pay a small fixed amount of money, this way a large quantity of tickets can be purchased each week. Then, when winnings arrive, the club administrators divide the prize money at regular time intervals, or at certain cash balance intervals.

Regardless of what you think about state lotteries, they have become a helpful source for funding schools and other programs, they are a source of income for convenience store owners, and for the lottery club member, they have a higher chance of winning something, while they can (technically speaking) LOWER their weekly "investment".

So my question is this...would convenience store owners find this valuable? And, more over, would they hire me for my administrative and marketing services? Naturally, when they did hire me, I'd run massive internet and/or conventional mailing campaigns in their neighborhoods as I work to fill up their lottery club with participants. Of course, if necessary, we could always offer lottery club members special discounts, coupons and/or benefits if/when they shop at their assigned convenience store. It may help with promote loyalty and "community".

Any informed feedback would be appreciated!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Idea to grow business for convenience store owners
Feb 28th 2013
Feb 28th 2013
Feb 28th 2013
Feb 28th 2013
Jun 24th 2013

J_campbellThu Feb-28-13 12:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Idea to grow business for convenience store owners"
In response to Reply # 0

As a former convenience store manager I am not sure I would find your proposed service valuable. Selling lottery tickets is a loss leader as it is unless of course some wins big and the odds are not good.Encouraging people to buy lottery tickets did not seem to be a problem. So I am not sure I see the upside for the convenience store owner.

sbgtradingThu Feb-28-13 02:05 PM

#2. "RE: Idea to grow business for convenience store owners"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you so much for your feedback!

I find it really valuable...thanks again.

J_campbellThu Feb-28-13 02:50 PM

#3. "RE: Idea to grow business for convenience store owners"
In response to Reply # 2

Find a way to increase fountain drink and coffee sales. That is where the gold is.

sbgtradingThu Feb-28-13 03:16 PM

#4. "RE: Idea to grow business for convenience store owners"
In response to Reply # 3

Very good info...thanks again

remaxmgmMon Jun-24-13 07:06 PM

#5. "RE: Idea to grow business for convenience store owners"
In response to Reply # 0

Take advantage of Franchise Opportunities in Real Estate offered by RE/MAX India. Become a successful real estate agent and establish a new business in a short time.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4932 Previous topic | Next topic