Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4687

Subject: "Lasting Memories Desktop Publishing Services" Previous topic | Next topic
lastingmemoriesMon Jul-18-11 05:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lasting Memories Desktop Publishing Services"

Seems I may have posted in the wrong forum. My first post was on the Start-Up Stew Forum, when I think I should have started on in Biz Ideas. Very sorry for the mix up.

For several years I worked for a large funeral home as a desktop publisher. My work ranged from creating slide shows in MS PowerPoint using family photos (then converted to a format so users could view it on their computer of TV), personalized prayer cards, memorial books, service programs and everyone?s favorite, laminated (or bookmarkers) obituaries. My laminated obituaries were not cut from the newspapers. They were laid out on quality pre-printed card stock paper, some included a photo, or additional information that was left out of the newspaper obit due to cost. The reverse side is pre-printed card stock that usually included a prayer, poem or verse. Once completed, it was laminated. My work was praised and I generated extra income for the funeral home when family members ordered additional copies of my work. Even funeral homes experienced downsizing in 2009, and since I wasn?t essential personnel, I was laid-off.

The funeral home I worked at is located an hour from my home and people who need the service of a funeral home in my rural home town use one the three small family owned facilities in the area. The small local facilities do not offer the services I mentioned above.
I am considering starting a business offering the services mentioned above and would like some feedback. One funeral home acknowledged they would keep a portfolio of my work in their family room and make it available for families to view. The other two funeral homes are not interested.

I could have one of the most well thought out business around, but what good is it if I don?t generate income. Other than the usual add in the local newspaper, a friend suggested creating one laminated obit based on the information printed in the local newspaper and mail it to the family along with a letter of sympathy letter/order form. Including printing, laminating, labor and postage, I will have $.80 invested in one laminated obituary. I will offer this product for $3.00 each up to 10, then $2.00 for all other copies. My mailing will also include other services I offer, should the family need my services at a later time, or if they have other older obituaries they would like for me to create. It?s not my place to question what people do with my work once they purchase it, but I have known many people who give the laminated obituaries as stocking stuffers/keep safes.

The business could branch off and offer more services such as several printed supplies for weddings, showers, thank you notes and hand-addressing services. The only other printing company in town is the local newspaper and they are extremely expensive.

I understand that some people might be hesitant placing a check in the mail, but my family, as well as the two ministers I have worked for since I was laid-off, are well known in the community.

My start up cost is very low and I can work from my home. I?m not looking to get rich, just to make an additional $200.00 to $300.00 per month. There are several online companies who offer the same such services, but I don?t have the money for their inventory, nor will my customers be required to be desktop publishers. One such company is http://www.funeralprogram-site.com/memorial-funeral-bookmarks (PLEASE NOTE: I have only included this website for VISUAL PURPOSES ONLY. A lot of people don?t know what memorial printed items are, as they are not offered by all funeral homes. I am in no way associates with this business.

What would YOU THINK if you received a laminated obituary in the mail, soon after the death of a loved one, with the option to purchase more?

Thank you for any and all feedback.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4687 Previous topic | Next topic