Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4672

Subject: "Help jumpstarting the next step!!" Previous topic | Next topic
angdorenThu Jun-30-11 10:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help jumpstarting the next step!!"

Hello everyone. This is my first post on IdeaCafe, and first I would like to say that everyone's post I have read has offered the inspiration and motivation I need to move forward with my dreams.

I started STI, Small Town Innovations almost a year ago. My company offers many diverse options, from busienss consultations, to event plannign, marketing materials (business cards, magnets), to training for employees focused on customer service.

When I started the company my #1 goal was to remind the business owner of the importance of having the best customer service possible 100% of the time. I have noticed over the last 20 years that although most companies state they care about customer service and train employees on customer service procedures and importance; the ongoing conversation and training is let go. The day to day operations become repetative, and the employee and owner forget to appreciate the customer.

I am at the point where I want to make this my primary focus. I want to market to businesses of all sizes. I want to travel, offer training in small groups, large groups, speak in seminars, and whatever comes from that. I am looking for pointers to get started with this journey. I know from experience that many mailings and emails will get tossed aside without a second glance. I am new, without a large name behind me. How do I get my foot in the door to begin?

I live in a town of less than 2000, there are no businesses here other than a hospital that currently employs more than 20. Not a good starting point.

I look forward to any and all responses.

Ang
STI, Owner

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

IEC1LLCThu Jun-30-11 02:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Help jumpstarting the next step!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-30-11 02:22 PM by IEC1LLC

Hi Ang,

While you may live in a small town the internet has opened the door a little wider for smaller businesses to do business cross platform with neighbors thousands of miles away.

This is only a suggestion, but if I were in your shoes I might try getting my feet wet and introducing my business and services locally first.

Since your focus is on customer services and I agree I have seen horrible decline in CS while business owners blame economy or whatever is on the news as to why business is down. I might suggest contacting your local chamber of commerce to give a free workshop.

During this exercise you can cover specific points IE.) The problems you see with many CS programs or lack of. How this lack of CS directly impacts sales.

Then you could go into the little seen CS aspects of a business. Example: a working ball point pen at teller booth in bank. Always keeping the envelopes stocked, acknowledging a customer quickly even if you can?t help them for a few moments while you finish up with other customer... etc. Small but very important aspects of CS often overlooked.

Many businesses do not recognize this as customer service but they are. Once you present your workshop you can offer to do free onsite business evaluations to those present. If presented correctly you can make many appointments. Record the exercise if possible to create additional value products and review. Try creating a series of workshops and making each topic into bite size pieces...

CJ

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4672 Previous topic | Next topic