Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4653

Subject: "need ideas current business not so sucessful" Previous topic | Next topic
thecrew74Fri May-27-11 07:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"need ideas current business not so sucessful"

Currently we operate our own business which offers a monthly sale to the general public. When we have the monthly sales we do ok but I would like to see a larger profit.Really we are making just enough to stay a float. So, I am trying to figure out what we can do to earn extra income but stay within the same building. Btw, it is a resale state tax id and busiiness license we have. I am searching for someone that can assist me in opening up a fireworks booth. And, possibly offering another product such as Equine and K9/Feline feed and supplies. I also, thought we could offer janitorial supplies to the local businesses...btw we have a rather large building and it has areas that can actually be considered seperate businesses if we needed to.

If anyone has any information on any of these endenovers please, please pass it along.

What I need to know is:

1. What do i say when I call the manufacturers of the fireworks and/or the K9/Feline manufacturers/distributors and how do I get the businesses phone numbers directly or should I go through a middle man? Will going through a middle man help me to cut the cost of bulk orders?

2. Should i expect to have to buy in bulk quanity as such that I will have to shell out 10,000 or more in my money?

3. What department would I contact for a permit to sale fireworks? Fire marshall?

4. Where can I view the rules, regulations, policy and so forth on operating such a business for the Johnson County Missouri area?

Thanks ever so much in your effort to assist us

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

PepperfireMon May-30-11 03:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: need ideas current business not so sucessful"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-30-11 03:57 AM by Pepperfire

Hi,

I like the way you are trying to figure out how to increase your bottom line.

I'm a little concerned that you are about to make a mistake that many businesses make, which is expanding outside your core expertise, but if the core expertise is the sale of a variety of products, then my concern may be moot.

For Fireworks, I would start with city hall, and you are probably going to have to have dealings with the Fire Marshall for sure.

For the animal feed, I would check with the FDA. I am unsure if they are in place yet, but there has been a lot of chatter over the last two years about regulations for animal feed to be put into place.

As for your core business and increasing your bottom line... My thoughts:

Examining your existing business and determining whether or not you are doing everything that is reasonably possible to increase your bottom line is a much less expensive and less risky affair than adding new product lines, especially if those lines require special regulations.

Often simply tapping your regular customers for referrals is a good way to increase your bottom line. Finding a way to tap new markets with your existing line is another cheap way.

The last thing you want to do is reinvent the wheel. More often than not it will be overly expensive and you'll end up splitting your goals and end up all over the place.

You might want to see if local Government has help for small business in the form of business coaching.

We have started a project with a local University, you might want to see if there is an opportunity there as well.

Hope these thoughts help.

I wish you luck.

Tina Brooks
Brooks Pepperfire Foods Inc.
http://www.peppermaster.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4653 Previous topic | Next topic