Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4528

Subject: "brainstorming for a tackle shop" Previous topic | Next topic
maineguy10Sat Oct-09-10 01:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"brainstorming for a tackle shop"

hello all, new member here, still in the brainstorming and idea stage. im thinking of the possibility of opening a tackle shop in my area of Maine. As a registered guide i think the store would do very well in this area, but i also want to know what other people think. any ideas of how I can ask a large number of people easily? i know i can ask the people I know, but i want to ask more. this is a town where lots of people pass through on their way to other fishing destinations, so i want to get their opinions too.
any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: brainstorming for a tackle shop
Oct 17th 2010
Nov 08th 2010
Nov 29th 2010
Mar 21st 2011

Wcol7780Sun Oct-17-10 07:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: brainstorming for a tackle shop"
In response to Reply # 0

I would check and see if there is any competition in the area and if so are they make any profit. If not, this this could be a great opportunity for you.

Wanda McDowell
President
http://www.mathconcentration.com
"When we believe our students achieve"

maineguy10Mon Nov-08-10 03:09 PM

#2. "RE: brainstorming for a tackle shop"
In response to Reply # 0

didnt think of the chamber of commerce, good idea, thanks. there is one competitor in the immediate area, good ol wal-mart, but i think that a tackle shop with more focused service would do great. my brother owns a lodge here in the area and all the guests wish there was a tackle shop in town. As for being seasonal, ice fishing is popular, and i could also expand the idea into other recreational activites.
thanks for the input.

qrky2Mon Nov-29-10 08:31 AM

#3. "RE: brainstorming for a tackle shop"
In response to Reply # 0

Be careful what you wish for.
I have a friend with a successful fishing store who is also a fishing fanatic and I think sometimes he finds the store limited his abilities to pursue his own passion. The store has grown very large over the past ten years but it is only since his sons have started to help with the business that he can get out and fish.

TobyGMon Mar-21-11 02:18 PM

#4. "RE: brainstorming for a tackle shop"
In response to Reply # 0

When I was in college I wrote a business plan for a bait and tackle shop. One thing that really helped me get a feel for what people wanted and essentially what they would spend their money on if the were to visit my shop came from a survey I created. I hung a ton of the surveys up at campus and had them place in my mailbox when completed. It really was a good/cheap way to get some feedback. But, all you really need is to talk to people. Get a feel for what they want and have it for them when they need it. If you do, they will come back again. Oh, and don't let Walmart scare you out of it. Just sell things they don't have and let me tell you, there are lots of fishing components and accessories they don't have. Remember, if they can't buy in bulk, they won't buy it at all. Start there. Good luck!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4528 Previous topic | Next topic