Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4440

Subject: "new bakery" Previous topic | Next topic
krknight5Sat Jul-03-10 07:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new bakery"

Ok so here goes.... I am looking into opening a bakery in my small town. I plan to sell cakes,gourmet and classic. Also cookie bouqets, giant birtday cookies as well as cookies by the dozen. Basically a variety of baked goods. I just want a little place where ppl can come in and get a slice of cake, maybe a fresh brownie, or take goods home.
For years I have had ppl tell me I need to open a bakery. I have three children and they were always my top priority. Now they are older and can take care of themselves. Baking is my passion!! There is no place else better than in the kitchen, baking something!!
So Im thinking now is the time to finally do this. Plus you just dont see bakeries around too much any more. A place where people can come and get fresh-baked goods, not something prepackaged with that store bought taste.
I would like any ones oppinion on what you think of this idea! Thank you

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: new bakery
Jul 05th 2010
RE: new bakery
Sep 16th 2010

jkundertMon Jul-05-10 09:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: new bakery"
In response to Reply # 0

I beleive the classic bakers are still the best, you can get a doughnut at casey's or alot of gas stations but there just not as good at the classic bakeds goods, I think the idea is great, make sure if you are doing this you have a good business plan, do you have any money to put into starting this business? How many years experience do you have? Let me know i would love to help you any way i can. email josh@kundertenterprises.com

Joshua Kundert
Joshua Kundert consulting
http://joshkundertconsulting.com
josh@joshkundertconsulting.com
866-584-6508

SageThu Sep-16-10 04:11 PM

#2. "RE: new bakery"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with BizResearcher. Check with your local SCORE office for help in making up a business plan and firm figures on how much it would actually cost to start AND "run" your bakery. It is not enough to just have money for start-up. You also need capital to keep it running until you see a profit.

Ideally, start small first and make sure you will enjoy the business side of things. It is not enough to just love to bake! Hobbies take on a whole new dimension when there's large sums of money involved!

Get started selling maybe at a local flea market or local arts and crafts shows. Check with your health department on the rules and regs for where you can bake your goods and how they can be packaged.

Make sure your set up doesn't just look like another high school bake sale though! You want to set up your booth to look professional, like your business is going places and not just an afterthought!

Have price sheets and business cards.

Also, the idea about starting wholesale first to local restaurants and cafes was a great one.

Hope this helps.

-D.
http://thebrightlab.com
Your web presence made easy.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4440 Previous topic | Next topic