Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4238

Subject: "Is my idea for a business even possible?" Previous topic | Next topic
Heroine26Sat Mar-20-10 06:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is my idea for a business even possible?"

This is going to sound strange and most of you will laugh and not take this seriously. But I really think this would be a good idea and honestly it's the only thing in life I want to do, so, it better be a good idea!!

I want to start a country-wide transportation business for fans going to concerts. I want to do this using an RV (obviously the biggest size possible). There are hundreds of thousands of concert fans all over the country who love road tripping for shows but they just lack reliable transportation, I know tons of them already, and I also belong to a group called Rock Concert Travelers, and the purpose is to find others to meet up with and go on road trips to shows with. It's growing by the minute. So it isn't a question of finding people. I already have a website (it's about rock music), I get up to 30 unique visitors a day, and I can advertise on there. I also can advertise on band forums I go on. But honestly just from the people I already know, I would easily get enough people to do this to make it worth it. But there are problems...

I am unemployed and in debt. The economy sucks right now and I have no way of buying an RV. Also, what types of laws/regulations are there regarding insurance? Would I need to have everyone sign something saying I am not liable if they get hurt in an accident, that they would need their own insurance? I have no idea how that works since this has never been done before (that I know of). I suppose it would be no different than taxi's or limo's, but I don't know their rules.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions or know anything about the whole insurance/liability thing? Thanks in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Is my idea for a business even possible?
Mar 24th 2010
RE: Is my idea for a business even possible?
Mar 24th 2010

hostingdivaWed Mar-24-10 04:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Is my idea for a business even possible?"
In response to Reply # 0

I understand that you are excited about this and you really want to make this happen. But, you need to sit down and do some real planning. You said that you are currently underemployed and in debt. This is going to be a problem because you don't have the investment capital you need to start your business.

So, what else can you do to get you to where you want to be? One thing you could do is look for investors. In this economy, this will be hard. Another thing you could do is start smaller. So, you can't offord an RV right now. What about using a car? Or maybe using a van or suv? You could also see whether you could rent an RV from someone. Maybe you could post an ad on craigslist.com and see whether someone in your area would be willing to rent their RV to you for a weekend?

No, you should not be mixing business and personal expenses if you can help it at all. Yes, you need special licenses. Yes, you need insurance. And yes, you need your passangers to sign some sort of liability waivers.

What you may want to do is just get a few friends together and do this as a one time thing so you see how it works. See what the kinks would be if you were to do this regularly.

Above all though, you're going to have to do a lot more research. Also, don't look at it as I have to have exactly what I have in mind right this second or I'm not going to do it at all. You have to take baby steps. So, you can't afford the whole vision right now - what can you afford? Start there

Best of luck!

~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

Heroine26Wed Mar-24-10 04:53 PM

#2. "RE: Is my idea for a business even possible?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oh yes I am fully aware I will have to take baby steps. And as for renting an RV, I've already priced that and honestly I could buy one for just a little more than the cost of renting one, and I already know I want one for my personal use, if not for this business. So baby step #1 would be to get a job. I have been working on that for the last 14 months though so that's nothing new. I'll write all this down so when the time comes when I can try this (even with just friends) I'll keep in mind what needs to be done if I'm gonna do this for a job. Is it expensive getting all that legal stuff?

Thanks everyone!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4238 Previous topic | Next topic