Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4182

Subject: "Toddler sports idea..." Previous topic | Next topic
silvernblackMon Feb-15-10 04:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Toddler sports idea..."

Here's my idea: classes for toddlers and small kids (18 months to 5 years) where they will learn to play football, basketball, and soccer. Everything will be appropriate for younger kids, and no contact- it's more about learning to move, develop their motor skills, socialize, play together, and learn basic rules of the game. In classes for the younger kids there will be parent involvement and the focus will be on developing gross motor skills. As the ages progress, the kids will start playing without help from their parents and learn the rules of the game.

I think my area would be perfect for this. I know people who can teach the classes, my educational background is in sport management, I have experience teaching movement classes for very young kids and I know what equipment to get, where to get it, how to develop lesson plans- I think this could truly work out well. Here's a bit more about how I came up with the idea.

I posted not too long about about a business idea involving starting a gym rented to personal trainers...I still think it's a good idea, but there are so many independent facilities like that where I live.

So, I was driving around town, and noticed that the new karate business near my house is doing very well. Every night that they're open, it's full of kids taking lessons (you can see through the huge windows).

It dawned on me, as a mother, that no matter what the economy, people are going to spend on their kids. Heck, I even do it. And the one thing I want to put my toddler in is a sports program...but the ones around here are either 1) too competitive or 2) not meant for kids under 5.

I researched, and found that in other states there are independent programs for toddlers for sports such as soccer and basketball, ranging from 18 months to 5 years old, similar to what I want to do. I'm ready to go for it, but would like some feedback

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Toddler sports idea...
Feb 24th 2010
Mar 02nd 2010
Mar 04th 2010

saltedWed Feb-24-10 08:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Toddler sports idea..."
In response to Reply # 0

My daughter is almost 18 months and I think your idea is a great one! It would be so fun to put her in a basketball class or something like that.

I used to work as a teacher at a preschool, and as was already mentioned, maybe you could talk to the directors there and at the very least, drop off flyers.

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

brainTue Mar-02-10 11:24 PM

#2. "RE: Toddler sports idea..."
In response to Reply # 0

The idea is good but then again your idea is not unique. Before even planning ask your self as to why will the children come to you? What makes you so special? What are you giving away that others aren't? Once you have the answer to these questions that are satisfactory, then you should go ahead. If not then do reconsider.

http://www.logodesignconsultant.com/

jimkcliftonThu Mar-04-10 12:10 PM

#3. "RE: Toddler sports idea..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've seen those houses-turned-into-karate-gyms in my town too! They are always busy. Once you get up and running, you could deliver flyers to all of the day-cares and pre-schools in your area. It's possible you could even use a field or gym of a local elementary school.
Did you get a website domain yet? With a .WS domain you will have more choices available. AND find out how you can make $3900 per month to help fund your business while it's getting off the ground. Watch the 7 minute movie at www.myhomeoffice.ws

Good luck and have fun!

Jim Clifton
jim@myhomeoffice.ws

Extra Cash Every Month
www.myhomeoffice.ws
It's a good life...

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4182 Previous topic | Next topic