Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3752

Subject: "Selling Lightly Worn Kids and Baby Clothes online" Previous topic | Next topic
cc2holtzThu May-28-09 11:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Selling Lightly Worn Kids and Baby Clothes online"

Hi!
Any input on this? I have 3 kids and some nice clothes they've outgrown that I thought I could sell online....but don't want anyone coming to my home, I want to do this online and mail order.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Selling Lightly Worn Kids and Baby Clothes online
Jul 08th 2009
Jul 14th 2009
Jul 14th 2009
Jul 14th 2009

bizdevWed Jul-08-09 07:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Selling Lightly Worn Kids and Baby Clothes online"
In response to Reply # 0

Well here's an obvious answer. Ebay.

Otherwise you would need to set up your own website and have folks mail you their used clothes so you can add to your inventory to resell. It wouldn't be worth the expense and time for you to set up a website just to sell your kids clothes. However, it would be really risky for you (and time consuming) to take in the items and then decide they're not acceptable. Most people will be looking for cash reimbursement. You will have competition from similar sites and resale shops.

I used to own a children's resale shop and can tell you that people will try to sell you the most awful stuff (filthy or really old) and they honestly believe their items are worth money when it needs to be trashed. So having things come to you by mail would be tricky.

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

hostingdivaTue Jul-14-09 02:35 AM

#2. "RE: Selling Lightly Worn Kids and Baby Clothes online"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with Sylvia, you should start with eBay and see whether you can sell your items. I think you can sell just about anything. The key is to have a great camera so that you can take good pictures.

Regarding getting new items to sell. I didn't think you meant you wanted to have people mail you stuff right? If so, I agree with Sylvia - that's pretty risky. I think the easiest way for you to get new inventory would be to go garage sales. You can often times find great stuff that you can get for just about nothing.

If things work out, then you can consider getting a webiste. Or, if you have a lot of inventory and do not want to deal with eBay's listing fees, then you can also get a website.

Just make sure you price your items accordingly - they are used after all

Best of luck!

~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

annalaurabrownTue Jul-14-09 03:18 AM

#3. "RE: Selling Lightly Worn Kids and Baby Clothes online"
In response to Reply # 2

you could also get items from local consignment shops which sell baby and used clothing.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

mikeperegrineTue Jul-14-09 03:57 AM

#4. "RE: Selling Lightly Worn Kids and Baby Clothes online"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know that I'd go the eBay route these days. The company is just a mess, seems to me. There are a lot of marketing channels open to you to explore, though. Work through a marketing plan for yourself in addition to your business plan. Then be committed to consistently contribute at least 20% of your generated income back into marketing each month. The first three months I would contribute 100% of what I make back into marketing. If you have good startup capital currently, definitely look into Google Adwords and learn everything you can about it. I never recommend jumping into Adwords until you have a thorough understanding, which can take some time. There are some great ebooks out there on making the most out of an Adwords campaign. They are pricey, but well worth it. Otherwise, try learning a couple of new marketing techniques each month and then consistently do them every single day to see results.

There's definitely a market for your goods out there. You just need to get into the heads of your customers and ask yourself the same questions they are asking themselves when looking for baby clothes. Then show them how you are best suited to fill their need. Best of luck!

Michael Peregrine
http://www.mikeperegrine.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3752 Previous topic | Next topic