Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3746

Subject: "Ideas for todays market" Previous topic | Next topic
helpjustoneTue Aug-11-09 12:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ideas for todays market"

I have several ideas I am mulling over at the moment.
My circumstance is that I am married to a newly retired Soldier.
We live in NY but this is not our home. We will at some point move to SC. Staying put right now to ride out whatever is happening to our economy.

Ideas:
1-Conferences/workshops/seminars
Pretty easy for me logistically however not sure if folks have disposable income for such events.

2-Job/Career Fairs
Definitely a need but can I pick up stakes and move it South? Do I want to start over building a client/recruiter base...

3-Local Business/Community News - Local job listings, business community profiles, Best Practices,etc...I live in a very small town. Maybe would need to combine with several local communities?
Again, I would have to roll it up and move at some point.

4-I like another persons idea about a credentialing check on contractors etc...does anyone have information on assessment used to determine this information? Is this simply duplicating the BBB?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
no helpful ideas or suggestions?
May 26th 2009
RE: Ideas for todays market
May 27th 2009
Jun 02nd 2009
Jul 15th 2009

helpjustoneTue May-26-09 11:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "no helpful ideas or suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

No one out there have any suggestions/ideas for help just one

DBeaversWed May-27-09 09:41 AM

#2. "RE: Ideas for todays market"
In response to Reply # 0

If you really want something that is portable, for your future relocation, consider either something that can be done completely online, or will work both online and off. Build it right, and you can keep many of your New York clients satisfied even after you relocate.

And, do it right, and you can target SC prospects before you move their.

I'd definitely look for an opportunity with no inventory requirement, so relocating the business doesn't also mean product to be moved.

Since you are already looking at working with existing businesses, why not investigate the promotional advertising industry. It meets all the previous criteria and offers the benefit of a great repeat sales factor. Sell an order of ink pens, coffee mugs, or calendars with a business imprint, and expect to write that order again at least once a year.

The inventory ships direct from the supplier to the buyers final destination, so you don't have to deal with delivery either.

This industry is a $20 Billion market in the US, and has been my full-time career since July '07, after 3 years of part-time sales.

Good luck at whatever you choose.

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

annalaurabrownTue Jun-02-09 04:13 AM

#3. "RE: Ideas for todays market"
In response to Reply # 0

If you want to be able to move with your business then it is best to build something that you can do online and offline. Number 1 might work in part for this, if you have a unique niche and can do teleseminars, webinars and conferences. Otherwise I would consider either some kind of affiliate marketing or direct sales business.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

Texas2sumWed Jul-15-09 01:54 AM

#4. "RE: Ideas for todays market"
In response to Reply # 0

One of our businesses is directly involved in the construction and contracting industry. We have successfully operated this business and give our clients a great value for the dollars spent. As a "contractor" I want to say that there are certainly "bad contractors" out there and they should be weeded out. On the other hand a good contractor can have a couple of bad customer experiences and through complaints to the BBB appear as if not a good company to do business with. For example our company put on approximately 250 roofs in 2008 with a customer satisfaction of over 98%. Yet because a few people could not be satisfied, or had issues that did not belong under the eye of the BBB our local rating was very poor. Even after responding and satisfying these complaint issues we still had a poor rating with the BBB.

Now I will bet that if purchased a membership and went through the BBB's ceremonies our rating would improve overnight. The real issue is that the BBB is a complaint clearing house with no room for anything positive other than the BBB's endorsement of a business and its relationship with the BBB. A website called perhaps the Best Business Services or something along this line with a forum type environment which operated much like eBay?s feedback system. Customers and clients can post positives and negatives with opportunity for comments and dialogue. Have businesses subscribe and offer it free to consumers. Basically a fair and balanced reporting site!

One other issue is "bad homeowners" and there are as many of them as there are bad contractors, perhaps more in the current economy! A way to verify these homeowners who screw their contractors would be great! Our company has approximately 15 files right now that are either completed projects owing or outright breach of contract issues that are worth $30,000.00+ in revenue collectively.

Just some thoughts and ideas.
Good luck and pursue your dreams with passion!

Mitch Haynie
M2greensources.com
Passion + Persistence + Perseverance = Success!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3746 Previous topic | Next topic