Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3725

Subject: "I hope someone can help me!" Previous topic | Next topic
jenn26Tue May-19-09 02:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I hope someone can help me!"

For the past year and a half, I've wanted to start my own business. I am tired of working as a medical secretary for someone else, putting in long hours, working hard and not getting anywhere; not to mention "no raises" due to the economy. The problem I'm having is deciding what business to go into. Not to mention having little money saved up now. I know I want a business where I can utilize my talents and reach my financial goals. My personal interests are talents such as drawing, (mostly graffiti), fashion and cars... Love new cars!

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Jennie M.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I hope someone can help me!
May 20th 2009
May 21st 2009
May 21st 2009
May 21st 2009
May 21st 2009
May 21st 2009
May 21st 2009
May 26th 2009

AntherryWed May-20-09 09:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I hope someone can help me!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-20-09 09:19 PM by Antherry

Well, what are your talents?

A year ago I had the idea of starting a trade organization for Medical Admin staff. It's been done but there is room for others. Have to figure out how to make it worth it-- you know how it works-- you talk the office manager into it and she'll have the doctor write the check. It's a nice place to be where you sell to people who are not the ones paying.

I also had an idea of a specific line of "lapel" pins-- for lab coats and scrubs-- that are medically oriented.

What ideas do you have?

Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

Thanks,
Berry
Interested in starting an online newspaper?
Visit http://www.flippij.net/news to help us brainstorm the idea.

jenn26Thu May-21-09 01:01 AM

#2. "RE: I hope someone can help me!"
In response to Reply # 1

Well, my talents are drawing, but mostly graffiti. In the past, I have ironed on some of my work on tote bags and t-shirts for friends. I also sold some, but it just didn't bring in enough money to continue. Plus I felt silk screening was much better.

I did think of starting a healthcare staffing agency or an auto performance shop in the past, but didn't know where to start. I'm going to have to do some more research as to what will bring me to my financial goal and other ways to generate money for start up costs.

You know, your idea sounds pretty cool, have you done any pins?

Thanks so much,
Jennie

annalaurabrownThu May-21-09 03:43 AM

#3. "RE: I hope someone can help me!"
In response to Reply # 2

What about doing some silk screening and selling via an ebay store, on etsy, zazzle, cafe press etc?

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

jenn26Thu May-21-09 05:30 AM

#4. "RE: I hope someone can help me!"
In response to Reply # 3

I tried the E-bay and I have a zazzle account, didn't make much money. I have never heard of cafe press, but I'm going to look into it.

Thanks

Jennie M.

AntherryThu May-21-09 09:00 AM

#5. "RE: I hope someone can help me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Forget CafePress.

Hey, can you post your art on here-- do you have some images of what you have done? Try to post them or put them on flickr and send us all the link. I would like to see them.

Let me give you a quick business plan-- the point being that doing your own thing is NOT EASY.

Let's say currently take home $2,000.00 a month- $24,000 a year.
Let's say your product will sell for $50.
Let's say it costs you $20 to make.
Your GROSS PROFIT is $30 per item.
So to GROSS what you bring home now you have to sell 67 "Whatevers" a month.

That doesn't seem bad-- but it is 3 every week day. Or 1 every 3ish hours.

The lesson- 1. It's not easy to replace your income. and 2. Don't undersell yourself.

Now, that being said-- I really like the idea of Graffiti art in general. Especially if used in the correct way, etc.

Good Luck!

jenn26Thu May-21-09 11:52 AM

#6. "RE: I hope someone can help me!"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok, no cafe....

Well I did talk to my dad about starting my own clothing store with some of my art work and employ people with the same interests to design custom clothing for people. But there was to many clothing stores I was told, young and didn't know better then. So I thought of healthcare because there is always a demand for the sick to get better.

Anywho, you can go to my blog at jenniem26.com scroll down and click on the link for my zazzle shirts.

Let me know what you think

Jennie M.

DBeaversThu May-21-09 12:33 PM

#7. "RE: I hope someone can help me!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-21-09 12:36 PM by DBeavers

Jennie,

With your healthcare education, you might consider selling promotional advertising. Promos include ink pens, coffee mugs, lapel pins, t-shirts, embroidered caps, jackets, & sport shirts, tote bags, golf balls and accessories, USB memory sticks, and 800,000 other items, most designed to carry a business name and message.

My biggest market segment is health providers - hospitals, home health care, clinics, breast cancer awareness, etc.

But beyond that market, you can also sell to insurance agents, credit unions, retailers, wholesalers, non-profit corporations, auto dealers and the automotive after-market (tire and brakes, lube shops, car detailers, etc.), banks, restaurants, hotels, tourist shops, as well as government agencies from local, state, and national, including the local school boards as well as tourism commissions and Chamber of Commerce.

This has been my home-based career for the past 22 years (full-time) and 2 1/2 years part-time, before I left the military service.

You can sell online and off, full or part-time, and anywhere in the USA.

No cost for the dealership.

No inventory.

And you set your own hours.

Good luck in whatever you pursue.

Dennis

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

jimkcliftonTue May-26-09 06:31 PM

#8. "RE: I hope someone can help me!"
In response to Reply # 0

I always get excited for people who are wanting to follow their passions... Make sure you are considering your options in terms of a web presence. You have a better chance of getting the domain name or website name of your choice with a .WS domain. AND you can make extra money on the side as well. I have made money every month for over two years now for a little work I did way back then.
Go to www.myhomeoffice.ws and make sure to click on "more info" after the short presentation.

Since you love graffiti and cars, have you considered putting together some unique designs that could be painted on cars?

Good luck with your dream of working for yourself!

jim@myhomeoffice.ws

Extra Cash Every Month
www.myhomeoffice.ws
It's a good life...

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3725 Previous topic | Next topic