Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3202

Subject: "Need a change for the future" Previous topic | Next topic
FlannersWed Dec-03-08 02:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Need a change for the future"

I currently work for my family business with my dad, mother, brother and one other employee. I am due to inherit this business with my brother in two years. The business is doing fantasticly well and has huge profits. This is however under the managment of my father.

The problem is I can work with my brother, he never returns calls to customers, turns up hours late, and never comunicates with me cause he says what he is doing is none of my business.

My brother is 4 years younger than me (24) so him being young is not an issue. I have two children and mortgages I need to pay.

This business will go down the pan if he is involved.

I need to have a back up something with no limitations that I can run how I want and feel it should be.

Anyone out their have any suggestions. I'm also in the UK if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Need a change for the future
Nov 12th 2008
Nov 12th 2008
Nov 19th 2008
Dec 30th 2008

stantongWed Nov-12-08 01:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Need a change for the future"
In response to Reply # 0

I would suggest starting by talking to your father. Perhaps he is aware of the issues. Express your concerns to him.

I am not sure what each of your roles are in the business, but perhaps your brother would like to maintain a small ownership without being a managing partner. Being 24, you may very well be able to sell him on giving him a smaller portion of the profits, without him working there. He would then be free to run around and do whatever it is that he is already doing.

Perhaps there is a non-critical role that your brother can fill. One that is managable with him being irresponsible. By the way, without knowing him, I would say that him being young is a big issue.

Be candid with your father. If the business goes down the drain, you all suffer. Bounce these thoughts and concerns off your parents and see what thoughts they may have.

Stanton Grubb
www.marketaccessco.com

PepperfireWed Nov-12-08 04:09 AM

#2. "RE: Need a change for the future"
In response to Reply # 0

You might consider offering to buy your brother out.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

jimkcliftonWed Nov-19-08 10:58 AM

#4. "RE: Need a change for the future"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe if your brother got involved in another business that would keep him busy? Have him check out www.myhomeoffice.ws. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Blessings...

Jim
jim@myhomeoffice.ws

Extra Cash Every Month
www.myhomeoffice.ws
It's a good life...

SmarterToBarterTue Dec-30-08 06:50 PM

#6. "RE: Need a change for the future"
In response to Reply # 0

You have to look out for yourself in this situation. This is your future and family's well being. I have seen many family businesses fail after the parents hand the operation over to their children. I know there are consultants that can help coach the current owners in the correct way to have the business survive after they move on, you may want to look into contacting one. This may be difficult to introduce to your parents but your parents have a responsibility to you, your brother, their employee, the business, etc. If the transfer of ownership is not handled correctly the business will fail and can ultimately destroy the family involved. I wish you the best.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3202 Previous topic | Next topic