Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2932

Subject: "new business idea??" Previous topic | Next topic
amyorfFri Aug-29-08 06:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new business idea??"

I am thinking of starting a small/home business for busy working moms and dads...I want to prepare birthday presents for parents for their children's parties...I don't know how many times I have heard my friends complain that they have no time to leave work, and go buy a birthday present for their daughter or son to have for a party that they were invited to!!
All the parents would have to do is call me, tell me the age and gender of child, any likes or dislikes, and I would either have present ready or deliver it to their house or party site....
I also thought about dabbling into potluck preparation...I would make a casserole, dish, whatever and have it ready for pick-up in the morning for someone to take to a work party/potluck.
I need input! Please!
Amy O

Amy O

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: new business idea??
Aug 31st 2008
Aug 31st 2008
Sep 03rd 2008

hostingdivaSun Aug-31-08 04:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: new business idea??"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Amy:

I think the party present idea is wonderful! I think that the potluck idea is great too but you may not be able to sell food unless it's cooked in a health department approved kitchen (you'd have to check with your local health department or county officials about licensing requirements). But, your present idea you could start now.

I know, now more then ever, you have all kinds of busy parents.

I would recommend that you take a deposit on gifts though to make sure you're not going completely out of pocket and then depending on payment later.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

FinallyAWinnerSun Aug-31-08 01:52 PM

#2. "RE: new business idea??"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you done any test marketing with parents in your neighborhood?

I just asked my wife about if she would use a service like that and she said it would depend on how busy she was and what the cost was... You never know...you might have a winner.

Best of luck

How I Bought a Brand New $1.2 Million Dollar Dream Home on Two Rolling Acres Using ONLY Affiliate Commissions Earned While I Was Unemployed
http://SearchPeopleWorld.com/tissa.htm

PepperfireWed Sep-03-08 05:12 AM

#3. "RE: new business idea??"
In response to Reply # 0

Chiming in on both ideas...

The gift idea is great. I have a 16 yr old sweet sixteen coming up and no idea what to give her nor any time to shop even if I did.

The cooking food idea...

You will need more than just a kitchen.

You will have to have your own food handling permit, a keep cold permit and you will NOT be allowed to use your own home freezer, although having one separate from and dedicated to your business may be allowed.

If you're going to go so far as doing the "potluck" platter for pickup, why not just offer frozen dinners that the family can pick up drop in the oven when they get home and eat 45 minutes later? I don't know that the potluck idea will sufficiently generate the profits to pay for the licenses and fees that you will have to deal with.

I will also warn you ahead of time, if your meals/platters are vegetarian, you'll have a lower level of rules and guidelines to follow and a lot less fees and licences than if you offer meat.

Ultimately, at that rate... why not simply cater birthday parties as well?

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2932 Previous topic | Next topic