Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2698

Subject: "CAFE success help?" Previous topic | Next topic
vincentsiThu Jul-03-08 12:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"CAFE success help?"

I currently owned a cafe. There is a big competitor just opened up 3 weeks ago. They have taken a dramatic part of my business. I now need some ideas to improve my cafe concept and how I could attract the customer to come back.

At the moment I am looking to sell my business, is this a good idea?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: CAFE success help?
Jul 03rd 2008
RE: CAFE success help?
Jul 10th 2008

bizdevThu Jul-03-08 05:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: CAFE success help?"
In response to Reply # 0

One thing you can try is to contact your local newspaper's business section writer and pitch an article idea. Tell him/her your situation. If your new competition is a major franchise or chain, the article could take on a You've Got Mail slant....the big bad Fox Books comes to town and kills the Little Shop Around the Corner. It could get you the sympathy vote.

Something similar happened to a local bakery in my area several years ago. An article appeared in the local paper about how they'd been in business for many years and lately business had dropped dramatically and they were in danger of going under. I happpened at the time to work for a major Fortune 100 company. I started ordering monthly birthday cakes from them. Very quickly the entire corporation started ordering from them. Fast forward several years....they not only survived, they recently opened a second location.

Good luck to you.
Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

PepperfireThu Jul-10-08 04:12 AM

#2. "RE: CAFE success help?"
In response to Reply # 0

My first thought when customers leave me to go to a competitor is... what was so bad about my product that they would switch that easily. Not, what is the competitor doing that is so great?

People who are satisfied with the product will switch temporarily to see what something new is all about, but if you have the better price, the superior product, they'll come back... The trick is to not let your customers know that you're suddenly feeling like your business has been dramatically affected by the loss of business. Selling your business best be done on the hush hush, putting a sign in front of your door will guarantee that the rest of your customers will cross the street.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2698 Previous topic | Next topic