Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2665

Subject: "Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers" Previous topic | Next topic
msawkaThu Jun-26-08 08:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers"

Hello, I am new to the cafe and want to start with a thank you in advance of any ideas/suggestions/help I receive here. Thank you!

I started writing a curriculum for preschool children that teachers manners for developing desirable/appropriate interpersonal social skills. I teach preschool and have seen this as a market area that is often missing. We teach 3,4,5 year olds how to count and recite the alphabet, but the socialization (appropriate) is often lacking.

I have searched and found a couple of companies that offer similiar services, not in my geographic area, but wonder if I can get some advice on getting started with the business idea.

For instance, where I live, there are several schools that teach dancing, there are also soccer/baseball/football clubs that focus on athletics, but nothing that focuses on the interpersonal skills that are desirable.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated and accepted!

Thanks,
Maryann

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers
Jun 27th 2008
Jun 30th 2008
Jul 03rd 2008
Jul 07th 2008
Jul 08th 2008
Jul 16th 2008

PepperfireFri Jun-27-08 03:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers"
In response to Reply # 0

About the only thing I know about preschools is that they are Government regulated, and thus the best place to start is your local business development center. They will help you with the rules and regulations you need to follow as well as any guidelines, etc.

In an aread where parents are contstantly in need of good quality day care programs, you should have no problem setting up and even having yourself a waiting list.

Good luck with it.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

annalaurabrownMon Jun-30-08 11:45 AM

#2. "RE: Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers"
In response to Reply # 0

depending upon the resources you have available to you, you could also consider making the curriculum in the form of a printed book and kit and selling them. You can print your own books from several places online such as lulu.com

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

bizdevThu Jul-03-08 05:26 PM

#3. "RE: Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers"
In response to Reply # 0

I really like your idea and would advise offering your manners classes much the way more formal art classes are offered at preschools. In other words, you would offer your services to all your area preschools/daycares as a separate, add-on service.

I would not recommend offering your classes from a single location where parents would need to go to you specifically for the manners lessons. It seems to me that children are lacking manners because their parents are lacking manners and are not even aware of the fact, or don't care. So, it likely wouldn't occur to them to send their little ones to manners classes.

But, if the classes are already available at their preschool, they might sign up just because it's there and readily available.

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

msawkaMon Jul-07-08 10:54 AM

#4. "RE: Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers"
In response to Reply # 3

Sylvia,

Thanks for the great input and ideas. I'm glad to hear feedback that reinforces for me that my business idea is valid and not silly. I agree that there is a general lack of manners with the generations being raised now. With my experience, education and background, I feel that I am a qualified person to lead this type of workshop/class.

With that in mind, if I may pick your brain one more time, how do you suggest I get started in making my services available? I do have a full-time job with a lot of flexibility in my schedule, so I have time to conduct the workshop sessions. I'm just not sure how I should go about approaching preschools. And, with elementary-aged children, I don't know who I should contact...a school district or perhaps the clubs that someone (maybe you I think) suggested in an earlier reply to my post.

Again, thanks for your suggestions and time.

Sincerely,
Maryann

bizdevTue Jul-08-08 04:46 PM

#5. "RE: Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers"
In response to Reply # 4

As Bizresearcher said, you should have your curriculum all ready to roll before you approach anyone or ask for an appointment. Once you are set, you can write a letter of introduction pitching your class and mentioning that you will be following up soon with a phone call to discuss further. When you call ask when would be a good time to come in for an in person discussion.

I would concentrate on pre-schools since they are more laid back and open to new ideas. Also I would concentrate on park districts. They are usually looking for new classes. Also, community colleges offer all kinds of non credit classes and again are usually open to new ideas.

And of course YMCA's, Boys and Girls Scouts, those groups might be interested too.

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

mthomas5Wed Jul-16-08 05:45 PM

#6. "RE: Business Idea - Manners for Preschoolers"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi, I teach at an all Pre-K school and I totally agree that students need social skills. At our school we use a program called Project Class. It teaches the skills of "Asking Permission" "Paying Attention" "Accepting No" "Accepting Feedback" and several other skills students can use at school as well as at home. The program is not only used for Pre-K but for grades k-5 as well. Students learn the skills through song and for the older students a rap. The project Class team trained each teacher and also holds workshops for the parents so that everyone can be on the same page.

With this program, it's about repetition. The students hear the steps for "Following Instructions". They know why you should follow instructions and they know the consequences for not following instructions. But, the key is that they hear the same language throughout the school. For ex: Following instructions: 1. Stop what you're doing (2) Look at the teacher (3) Listen quietly (4)do it right away.

This program has cut our discipline problems in half because the kids know the consequences and they also know the rewards for following social skill.

I think Project Class has a website (you can probably google them).
Hope this has been some help.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2665 Previous topic | Next topic