Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2352

Subject: "Let's Bounce This Idea Around" Previous topic | Next topic
GrandmotherLeeMon Apr-14-08 05:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Let's Bounce This Idea Around"

I want to develope a highly recognizable website where retired citizens, registered as Grandparents4Rent, can be introduced and meet Host Families who have children of all ages that are in need of the wisdom and skills grandparents have to offer.
As each grandparent joins, registers and meets application requirements, Host Families will also join, register and meet application requirements. Grandparents and Host Families, whether local or throughout the United States can meet to, talk to, email or otherwise get to know each other in hopes they might start up a relationship where the family 'rents' the grandparent for specific needs.
There's much more involvement, too much to post here, but so far, what do you think about the idea?
I'll be glad to answer anyone's questions.

Everyone has something to give.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Let's Bounce This Idea Around
Apr 22nd 2008
Apr 24th 2008
Apr 25th 2008
May 01st 2008

bearlygrownTue Apr-22-08 02:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Let's Bounce This Idea Around"
In response to Reply # 0

Great idea, I know that all of my friends are very jealous that my folks are able to see my kids each day.
People need grandparents!

Yes, background checks will be a must.

I also think that once the families approve of one another that the grandparents come over to 'visit' and in a sense babysit, so the parents can get some work done!!!
The parents wouldnt leave the house , just do laundry or computer work.

good luck

oviedostyleThu Apr-24-08 04:48 PM

#2. "RE: Let's Bounce This Idea Around"
In response to Reply # 0

Awesome idea, especially for the grandparents w/o families, or relatives far away.
The background checks make me think of a company that finds Nannys for children, they always do background checks.
Leah Oviedo
Mercado del Mundo

xcalFri Apr-25-08 03:14 AM

#3. "RE: Let's Bounce This Idea Around"
In response to Reply # 0

Fantastic idea! This is something that the Aids orphans here in South AFrica can REALLY do with.

I suggest that you target specific old age homes and retirement villages for your grandparents, and nearby schools for the the kids. Maybe involve the school guidance centre and involve troubled kids who are not rotten enough to kill the grandparents, but can do with the guidance. A few quick successes will go a looong way to stabilize your idea as compared to starting up with a BIG BANG involving unwieldy numbers.

Good Luck!
Xcal

hostingdivaThu May-01-08 10:28 AM

#4. "RE: Let's Bounce This Idea Around"
In response to Reply # 0

You have an interesting idea but -

1) how do you plan on making money on this? Just based on advertising?
2) how much investment money do you have? It is going to cost you a lot of money to develop the technology that you need to run this type of website - you can't just do it with off the shelf software. So, I'm thinking you need at least a few hundred thousand before you even launch (despite what you might hear online - custom programing - good programming - is not cheap).
3) I can see why older people would be interested in this because they probably want companionship but what would be the interest for younger folks? What's the appeal in talking to old people (to be a bit crass)? Kids don't even like talking to their own parents much less someone whose going to pretend to be their parent.

Maybe you've thought about some of these issues already?

Sorry for being a bit harsh.

~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2352 Previous topic | Next topic