Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2322

Subject: "Joint Venture" Previous topic | Next topic
jasmincheyenneThu Apr-03-08 03:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Joint Venture"

I have an idea to help people be able to make their beds faster but it involves sewing(for me not ppl). I don't know how to sew and can't afford a sewing machine. Is joint venturing a good idea and how do I go about it? I don't want a potential seamstress partner stealing my idea.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Joint Venture
Apr 04th 2008
RE: Joint Venture
Apr 04th 2008

PepperfireFri Apr-04-08 04:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Joint Venture"
In response to Reply # 0

>I have an idea to help people be able to make their beds
>faster but it involves sewing(for me not ppl). I don't know
>how to sew and can't afford a sewing machine. Is joint
>venturing a good idea and how do I go about it? I don't want a
>potential seamstress partner stealing my idea.

If you have received orders, it is a simple matter of finding a seamstress who will sew per instruction, per order.

If you don't know or understand how the sewing will work (regardless of the mechanics of it) then the idea has less value than if you can tell the seamstress how it is to be sewn.

Let me give you an example of what I mean by that.

A couple of years ago, we decided we were going to use little velvet sacks as gift bags for some of our products. We went to all of the companies that do this sort of thing and found prices that ranged from $3-$5 per sack. Well, we needed the sacks to come in at less than $1 a piece in order to meet zero taxation rules. So we had to figure out how to do it ourselves.

We priced the fabric, the ribbon, etc, and then brought some in and had to figure out how to sew the sacks so that the costs (assuming piece work pricing) were low enough for our price, but high enough for a piecework seamstress to accept the job.

I had to figure out how an assembly line seamstress would sew the sacks together. I am (or at least used to be when I had time) rather crafty and have experience in all sorts of needlework, including quilting, so it wasn't a stretch for me to figure out. Fabric in, we managed to figure out how to do it so that the bags came in at $.95.

When I showed the seamstress how she would sew the bags, she immediately was able to see that she could easily sew 6 per minute, did the math in her head and voila, the pricing was worth her while.

If you don't know how the sewing is going to be done, you're going to find yourself in a tricky bind and I'd suggest that whoever you consult with sign a confidentiality agreement before you do your consultations. That way, they can't simply steal your project while they help you work out how the sewing will work commercially.

I hope this isn't too confusing and clarifies for you what you have to figure out. Feel free to ask questions (here on the board or in PM) if you need help figuring out what this may mean for your project.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

nightskyFri Apr-04-08 04:56 PM

#2. "RE: Joint Venture"
In response to Reply # 0

I would not go into this as a joint venture. If you know what it is that you want... talk to a seamstress and get the costs figured out and the different price breaks. Maybe the seamstress will give you a good price in the beginning in the hopes that you will bring her a lot of business down the road. Don't be afraid to ask.

Then, when you have orders... submit them to the seamstress to sew. I would also have her do a couple before agreeing to anything. You want to be sure of the quality first.

Subbing out your work is much better than going into this as a joint venture. Plus, you will remain friends in the end.

Jeff
www.NightSkyMurals.com
(Dealerships Available)

Jeff S.
Night Sky Murals
Award Winning Murals

www.NightSkyMurals.com (Product)
www.DarkSkyMurals.biz (Business Opportunity)

Featured in...

* The Robb Report's "Luxury Homes" magazine -
* Angies List
* in Affluent
* HGTV's show - "I Want That"

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2322 Previous topic | Next topic