Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2220

Subject: "NEED SOME ADVICE" Previous topic | Next topic
rocknroll217Fri Mar-14-08 03:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NEED SOME ADVICE"

I currently run an art show that takes place 3 days a year every June. The last few years I have been making money with it, but I feel like I want to do more with it than just a 3 day a year event. People have told me to do it more than 3 days a year. Some people have said have the event 3 days a month. The problem is that there is so much planning that goes into it, between acquiring sponsors, booking special guests, advertising and promoting, not to mention the large costs involved with running this 3 day event. In order to do it right I really need the whole year to plan. For that reason I do not know how I would expand the event. I am wondering however if there is another component, other than another event, that I can add onto a business like this that would still fall under the umbrella of this 3 day event. Since the website gets a good amount of hits maybe I can sell something on my site? My question is: Do I work on ways to add more components to this or do I focus on making this 3 day event the biggest and best 3 days of the entire year? Sometimes I say to myself, "How can this business ever grow of it is only 3 days a year?", but then I say "Well, look at how much money is made off of the Superbowl?" In other words, here's my analogy: Do I focus on making a buffet or focus on one dish and make it the best dish anyone has ever eaten?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: NEED SOME ADVICE
Mar 14th 2008
Mar 14th 2008
Mar 19th 2008
Mar 20th 2008
Apr 10th 2008

jswank02Fri Mar-14-08 03:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: NEED SOME ADVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

I think there are several things you can do.

Without seeing the sight you could sell selected art pieces on it.

I really need to see the sight to be able to give appropriate advice.

As a side not I think you need a Business/Marketing plan of sorts for an entire 12 months and compare doing 1 show versus 3. Maybe you could even get a company or companies to help you co sponsor the events therefore less cash out of your pocket. But its all in the presentation.

I am currently running a free plan offer. Though this doesn't quite fit the program I would be happy to offer my services free of charge to help you lay this out. This would be wonderful experience for me as well to use my marketing and tradeshow expertise in the art arena.

Thanks

Joanna Swank
info@jswank.com
JSwank Marketable Concepts

rocknroll217Fri Mar-14-08 12:26 PM

#2. "RE: NEED SOME ADVICE"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to do more events because I really want to put my efforts into this one event to make it as big as possible. I want it to be like the Superbowl or Academy Awards of the art industry. Do you have any other thoughts of what can be done other than another event?

rocknroll217

bizdevWed Mar-19-08 07:16 AM

#3. "RE: NEED SOME ADVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

I would absolutely expand on your website idea. If you already receive a "good amount of hits" you need to take advanatage of that part of your business and monetize it. If you are in a position to be able to sell products, all the better. Work on optimizing the site if necessary, to bring in an even wider customer base.

At the very least you can bring in a bit more income through the website while you decide how to take the art show to the next level.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

BigBrightBulbThu Mar-20-08 06:57 AM

#4. "RE: NEED SOME ADVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

First, congratulations on having a string of successful and profitable events! I help plan events occasionally, so I know some of the challenges. I can easily see needing 6-12 months to plan those precious 3 days.

I agree that doing a show each month is too much. A great idea, but I believe it would dilute the value of the event if you had it too often. As it is now, I suspect people look forward to your show all year (I know I would!). It could easily get taken for granted if it was too readily available.

However, I'm still going to offer this suggestion even though I know you're not keen on having the show more than once a year:

Consider having just one more 3 day show---in early December, in time for Hanukkah and Christmas and Kwanzaa? Not Black Friday weekend, of course, but the weekend after. Folks should be in a buying mood, and there's plenty of time to build anticipation and interest in the 6 month gap between shows.

That said, I'm going to chew on ways for you to earn income the other 362/363 days of the year. Like others have said, your trafficked website is the key...more soon

Crystal
Digital Curator
http://bigbrightbulb.com
Advice, ideas, answers, and inspiration for the smallest businesses with the smallest budgets

BigBrightBulbThu Apr-10-08 02:46 PM

#5. "RE: NEED SOME ADVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi there Edward, sorry it took so long to get back, but I think I have some good ideas for you. I wrote a blog post on it, but it's too long to post here, so there's an excerpt and a link below. If you provide me with an URL to your art show site, I'd be happy to add it!

You said: My question is: Do I work on ways to add more components to this or do I focus on making this 3 day event the biggest and best 3 days of the entire year? Sometimes I say to myself, "How can this business ever grow of it is only 3 days a year?"

And my response is
"DO BOTH by providing the value of the real-world event in an online venue.

For the artist/vendor, Edward?s art show is an opportunity to display and sell their work while connecting with art enthusiasts. These attendees benefit similarly: they can explore a variety of art in one place, meet the artists, and buy their work.

With those things in mind, here?s how Edward can promote his annual art show and earn year-round income with a restyled website"

The rest is at:
http://bigbrightbulb.com/work-the-web/7-off-season-income-ideas-for-an-event-website

Hope this helps!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2220 Previous topic | Next topic