Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2071

Subject: "Myspace Idea" Previous topic | Next topic
roddyoWed Feb-13-08 06:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Myspace Idea"

I wanted to throw out this idea to see what all of you thought about it.

I've always been interested in marketing and an idea hit me...what if I set up a Myspace page where local companies could post their coupons for local customers? My goal would be to add as many local friends as possible. Local coupons would be placed under my picture pages and could be sorted according to company type.

My front page would explain what my company was about so that people wanting to add me as a friend would know exactly what to expect from me.

Each week, I would post a new bulletin that would tell friends about local deals that were available. Posting just once a week would help to avoid becoming annoying.

The main thought behind all of this was to find a way to help companys market themselves using Myspace without violating Myspace's policies. My first inclination is to keep the cost to put a coupon on the page low, maybe $20-$25 per month.

I'm open to all thoughts, criticisms, etc.!

Thanks so much!
Rodney

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Myspace Idea
Feb 14th 2008
Feb 14th 2008
Feb 19th 2008
Feb 18th 2008
Feb 19th 2008
Mar 07th 2008

PepperfireThu Feb-14-08 08:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Myspace Idea"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Rodney,

I think that setting up such a site is a great idea. I am certain that online retailers as well as local retailers will be happy to contribute, although, I'm not so sure about the price to list on your page though... You'll need to explain to the retailer why putting a coupon on your page is worth $20-25 per month to them. Especially since the more coupons that get used, the more your page will cost them. Secondly, you'll need to be aware that a lot of retailers will think, "hey, that's a great idea" and then they'll just go put it up on their website.

Finally, if you get good positive feedback and decide to do this, I recommend doing it on a real website not on a Myspace page. I doubt retailers are going to want to pay someone to list their coupons on a Myspace page... I wouldn't, although I might consider doing on a real page that used myspace to drive traffic to it.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

roddyoThu Feb-14-08 10:25 AM

#2. "RE: Myspace Idea"
In response to Reply # 1

Tina,

Thanks for the input. I do hope to eventually move to a full web-site and still use Myspace to drive traffic to the site.

I appreciate it!
Rodney

PepperfireTue Feb-19-08 10:10 AM

#5. "RE: Myspace Idea"
In response to Reply # 2

>Tina,
>
>Thanks for the input. I do hope to eventually move to a full
>web-site and still use Myspace to drive traffic to the site.
>
>I appreciate it!
>Rodney

Feel welcome to solicit me when the time comes... Also, remind me that I asked you to contact me when you were ready... just in case I don't remember this conversation.

Eat more peppers!

margoyle1Mon Feb-18-08 09:39 AM

#3. "RE: Myspace Idea"
In response to Reply # 1

A good idea, indeed. Another thing that comes to mind is the time it would no doubt take to win reasonable traffic to such a site. Myspace has been recently inundated with spam so many people are not bothering to separate legitimate deals from trojan horses. You'd also possibly need some kind of "in" to your local circles on myspace, unless you already have this worked out.

I wonder if Facebook, which is now gaining popularity over myspace, could ever accommodate such a model. Like the creation of a web app that updates with said coupons every so often. Then again facebook has been clamped down pretty tightly against ads.

MG1

PepperfireTue Feb-19-08 10:09 AM

#4. "RE: Myspace Idea"
In response to Reply # 3

You can create corporate pages on Facebook. I have been thinking of creating one for my business to do just that... offer coupons. But I haven't taken the time to do so yet.

What I like about Facebook is the local connection, it networks first in your neighbourhood, rather than just blindly wherever on the web.

Eat more peppers!

markbeboutFri Mar-07-08 04:38 AM

#6. "RE: Myspace Idea"
In response to Reply # 0

This business model, offering coupons to consumers on behalf of participating retailers, has been done for decades in many different forms.

What we have learned is that the success of the business model hinges on your ability to drive traffic to your site. It doesn't really matter if you have a MySpace site with friends, or a website that emails out weekly coupons to its email list. What does matter is that you have a very high distribution rate. We are talking at the very least in the low thousands, depending on the size of your local area. If you do not have this distribution level, there is no compelling reason for retailers to pay you money only to have to give a discount to the customer you bring in.

In the beginning, you need to consider how you are going to build your distribution and share this plan with your retailers. Then get to work on getting the word out.

The idea may fly, but it remember that because of its novelty it may wear off fast if you don't have the distribution.

Best of luck!

Mark Bebout

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2071 Previous topic | Next topic