Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1976

Subject: "New Retail Business Owner" Previous topic | Next topic
ksbasketandgiftFri Jan-04-08 05:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Retail Business Owner"

Hello,

I started an ebay business selling Men NFL Jrseys about a year ago. Things have been slow for a few months. I have a business license, ficticious name and a Tax Id #. I am ready for a full time profitable business. My problem is I am having a hard time finding vendors in the US to supply me with NFL jerseys. I have purchased jerseys from China and received terrible merchandise (what a nightmare). How can I get the major suppliers to work with me without a physical retail location? Are there any real suppliers for the little man?

Kameka

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Retail Business Owner
Jan 06th 2008
RE: New Retail Business Owner
Jan 08th 2008

DBeaversSun Jan-06-08 09:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: New Retail Business Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

Kameka,

You've chosen a popular product in a crowded field. All NFL merchandise is produced under strict licensing, whether it has a team name, logo, or the NFL logo. It's a closed market for the most part. And the garbage you get from China is most likely not licensed, and can get you shut down and possible brought up on charges.

All NFL merchandise must carry the proper documentation, which is usually a licensed hangtag with an official decal - most often a holographic decal. Anything not carrying the license is fraudulent, unless you are able to buy and sell second hand merchandise where the original owner removed the tags.

Another possible business for you to do online is to sell promotional advertising - products that will carry the buyer's company name, logo, and additional info. There won't be as many buyers, but you can be selling 25 to 5000 or more items on a single order.

Dennis Bevers

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

PepperfireTue Jan-08-08 12:08 PM

#2. "RE: New Retail Business Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

As Dennis pointed out, NFL jerseys are licensed... I don't want to imagine what might happen if you're caught selling unlicensed knock-offs... Not sure what the rules are there, exactly, but am certain that the NFL could easily have you, personally, on copyright infringement, and you'd have to ask a lawyer what that is worth... I will quickly add that I just spent $30,000 on protecting my copyright... I can't imagine how much the NFL is willing to spend... but wouldn't you feel better selling something you are legally allowed to sell?

Just a thought.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1976 Previous topic | Next topic