Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1903

Subject: "Sort of weird... it's about tartar sauce.." Previous topic | Next topic
at51624Fri Nov-30-07 08:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sort of weird... it's about tartar sauce.."

This is my first shot at this kind of thing, so I'm going to use my best writing skills to get my point/question across ( I won't exaggerate! )

My dad is quite the fisherman. Whenever he gets the chance, he hikes deep in the woods and goes fishing by himself all day and loves it! This is something he's been doing since a very young age.

Throughout the years he's come up with his very own unique tartar sauce. We usually eat it with wall-eye, but I'm pretty positive you could eat it with ANY kind of fish. It's seriously so good. He makes it from scratch, mayo and all. He adds his own special ingredients which bring out the taste of the fish in such a good way.

The past few years I've mentioned to him to sell this tartar sauce for profit since it's so good. He told me if I found out how, he would be all for it.

The reason I believe we could make a profit from this is because I have never, ever gone out to a restaurant and had good tartar sauce. It's always just alright, nothing too special. Same thing in the stores. Even the best brand-named tartar sauce is always just alright. We could change that. If sold in stores, fish lovers everywhere would buy this because no other tartar sauces have that special taste. Restaurants could serve it with their fish... To me these seem like some serious possibilities.

I was thinking to sample it at fish restaurants/sellers and getting noticed that way..? Would I need a special certificate for that? I'm totally lost as to where to get started. Also, I was wondering what people thought of this idea. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thx alot!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

PepperfireTue Dec-04-07 02:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Sort of weird... it's about tartar sauce.."
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like you may have a product worth pursuing. The question is how do you do it.

You have several options at your disposal, all of them will require two things: a business plan and a business registration.

Then, food manufacture laws are going to kick in.

In order to manufacture food for sale to the public, it needs to be prepared in a certified kitchen; it cannot be done in your home.

You can build your own kitchen, rent space from a restaurant or other commercial kitchen or simply hire a co-packer.

Building your own kitchen would require serious financial commitment and prior to doing this, I would suggest a couple of years of successful marketing efforts in place to justify the expense.

Renting a commercial space has its benefits and its drawbacks. One of the key drawbacks are having the space available when you need it and also having the equipment that you require to manufacture your product.

For example; in your home kitchen, making a tartar sauce has several steps, notwithstanding the cracking of eggs. Making a tartar sauce in a commercial kitchen requires many more eggs. Eggs require refrigeration, is the fridge available and large enough to accommodate your needs. Are the tools, knives, spoons, bowls, mixers, etc. available to you or do you need to provide your own? And, Tartar sauce will possibly (if not probably) qualify as a low-acid or acidified food and will require water movement and ph testing. Are the tools required for this testing available to you, and if not, you will need to find a facility to do the testing for you. Will the kitchen be available to you when you need to produce product or will you have to be scheduled in blocks of time that may or may not work with your production. Will you need to provide your own license or will you be covered by the license of the kitchen.

There are many other questions that will come up.

The key benefits to building your own kitchen or renting your own space are that you are not subject to the profit margins of someone else and can vary your ingredients and supplies according to what you can afford, you are not locked into what a co-packer will provide.

Of course, there are many advantages and disadvantages to using a co-packer as well.

Some advantages include not having to worry about things like sourcing your ingredients and supplies. Some co-packers offer support with business plans and marketing support and services, others offer a bare bones, here's your product type service. You will want to shop around to find the one that is right for you.

A big disadvantage is having a limited profit-margin with which to work, as the co-packers charge will not fluctuate once your contract is signed.

My company offers co-packing services, so if you have any questions on that end, feel free to ask.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1903 Previous topic | Next topic