Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1763

Subject: "Software Development" Previous topic | Next topic
linele1980Wed Oct-17-07 05:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Software Development"

Hello,

I need a little feedback on this. I have a business idea that i would like to get off the ground in the next year and a half. I don't want to spill too much detail because i think it will do pretty well. The idea is software i want to have developed that can be used in the fashion industry/retail e-commerce.

I need to know what should i look for as far as finding a software developer. I know my way around a computer, but i don't have training in software development.

I'm open to all feedback.

Thanks in advance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Software Development
Oct 27th 2007
RE: Software Development
Dec 16th 2010

jaxmeierSat Oct-27-07 03:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Software Development"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Oct-27-07 03:46 AM by jaxmeier

I am a software developer and business owner, but I am not writing about software development...and I am not a lawyer either, but after what I have been through, I highly recommend the following...

1) Get a good business lawyer. Look around, find someone you can trust, either someone you know or based on solid recommendations.
2) Use that lawyer to draw up whatever is necessary to protect your intellectual property. Make sure the idea and code are going to stay yours. Nobody should be privvy to your idea and offered to work on it without a non-disclosure agreement and/or non-compete agreement.

Once you have done the above steps, you can proceed in identifying what it is you need and finding someone to do it for you.

3) Get someone to translate your idea into what is going to be required for your idea. This is called a functional specification. This outlines exactly what your idea is and how it should function.

4) Based on #3 above, you will want to have a detailed design specification created. This will translate what you expect the software/website to do into what the developers, database designers etc will need to do to make your idea a reality.

5) Last, based on that detailed design spec, agree on a set of mile markers and a payment plan. Pay based on percentage of completion if you can.

Depending on your idea, these things may or may not need to be expensive. There is nothing that says each step has to be performed by the same party either, although you may want the same team doing all of it if they know what they are doing. You can have the plans drawn up and bid out the development as well if you like.

You don't need to know about development. Once you are ready to move on development there are plenty of resources available once you know the skill sets required. You can use the detailed design specification to put a reasonable bid specification together. Just keep in mind you will be acting like your own general contractor building a house if you do this. You may be better off with getting someone who drew up the plans to ensure they get executed properly and according to your budget, which should be spelled out early in the process.

Just keep in mind the more detailed the roadmap, the easier the destination. Having a detailed plan with a signed contract will not only help ensure your idea is implemented right the first time and for the least amount of overall cost, but it will also protect everyone from a legal battle when things break down.

Bruce

Save time, save gas, save money, share errands! http://www.sherrands.com

nicolehampsonThu Dec-16-10 11:57 PM

#2. "RE: Software Development"
In response to Reply # 1

Surf through the net and search and learn from different business owners experiences so you can learn and be educated on what you should do.

Accounting Software Reviews - http://www.softwareshortlist.com/products/accounting_software_reviews.html

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1763 Previous topic | Next topic