Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1341

Subject: "Butterfly Rearing" Previous topic | Next topic
Jwms32Fri Jun-22-07 07:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Butterfly Rearing"

Hi All,

I am a single mom of three and new here to IdeaCafe. Truly fascinated by all the wonderful information I have found on this website !!! I am located about 45 minutes from Raleigh. I have noticed over the years, the decrease in butterfly sightings and I would like to see more of them. I am thinking of starting my own home-based business rearing monarch butterflies for release at special events/memorials and for educational purposes as well. I am educating myself and preparing to place my first order for butterfly eggs and/or caterpillars!! I am very excited and would appreciate your thoughts, ideas, feedback or if you think a business such as this would be a worthwhile venture.

Thanks So Much,
Cinda
jwms32@aol.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

PepperfireTue Jun-26-07 07:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Butterfly Rearing"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it is a great idea. Monarch butterflies are on the WWF endangered species list, so if your project will help increase their populations, all the power to you. (I was a lapidopterist as a child.)

Monarchs are very special butterflies because of their migrations. In the fall butterflies that will make the migration to Mexico are born and rather than living for only five weeks, they will live for the many months it takes to fly south and back. I think this could put a kink into your works, because I would think that this would need to be taken into consideration.

You also have to be concerned about whether you are releasing Eastern or Western Monarchs so as to not endanger the populations of existing butterlifes by releasing a wrong species or by releasing a new species to an existing ecosystem.

Finally, repopulating butterfly species is typically done at the larva stage, so I don't know whether or not releasing these butterflies will actually even have a positive affect on the native populations.

In my humble opinion though, doing the research is going to be valuable if you wish to say to people, "releasing these butterflies at your ceremony will help populate an endangered species" and I do hope you find that you can say that.

Good luck with the project.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1341 Previous topic | Next topic