Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1266

Subject: "interested business" Previous topic | Next topic
sriderThu Jun-07-07 02:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"interested business"

I am looking for a way to market myself as a speaker to young teens. I placed a child for adoption when I was young. At the time my school asked me to speak to some of the classes about my experience. This was only for a couple of times. It has been about 17 years now and I would like to start to think about doing this with teens to let them know about their options or to make them really think about their lifestyle. How would I go about this and If I should charge ( since I am obviously looking for another income)

srider

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: interested business
Jun 07th 2007
Jun 08th 2007
Jun 08th 2007
Jun 09th 2007

ZeroGCreativeThu Jun-07-07 02:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: interested business"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it would be very benefical to speak with teens about your experience, but I would think twice about charging. Teen pregnancy rates are very high in the low income demographic, and if these teens weren't responsible enough to prevent the pregnancy in the first place, then most likely they have no stable source of income either and the money they do have will be spent on doctor's visits, etc.

I did a lot of volunteer work the Resource Mother's Program which want women like yourself to mentor teens and homeless mom's and mom's to be (even if they choose to give up the baby for adoption) throughout the pregnancy to ensure a healthy baby and mom and afterward. I would think about volunteering...it is a great way to meet people and network. Perhaps you will find another business opportunity through meeting other volunteers. But I would think twice about trying to profit off of teens who are in this desperate situation, who need someone who truly cares, not someone who is just trying to make a buck.

Jen Dudley
www.zerogcreative.com
Whether you need a new logo, business card, brochure or web site, Zero-G delivers incredible results at an affordable price. When it comes to your business, reach for the stars? Not your wallet.

sriderFri Jun-08-07 03:10 AM

#2. "RE: interested business"
In response to Reply # 1

I guess what I was trying to do was have a school or function itself that would hire me to come and speak to a group of people. I do like the idea of speaking with teens individually so I will check into that. Thanks for the advice.

srider

PepperfireFri Jun-08-07 01:01 PM

#3. "RE: interested business"
In response to Reply # 2

Just because you're getting paid doesn't mean you don't care.

If fewer people felt that philanthropic works had to be free to have meaning, perhaps more people would be involved in them.

If you think of it as finding a way for your work to have real meaning in life, then it takes on a different stature, don't you think?

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

tamaralysterSat Jun-09-07 05:59 PM

#4. "RE: interested business"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi There,

What a wonderful idea. So many young women these days have no one to look up to that have been where they are. All the more inspirational if the person addressing them have gone on and made their life a success.

Have you considered how you would like to structure your talks. In small groups, large groups or maybe one on one? Are you thinking about holding your talks in community centres, high schools, homeless shelters, etc?

In regards to promoting yourself, your options are endless. Approach schools for pregnant teens, maternity hospitals, high schools, community centres, refuges specifically for women, etc. Anywhere that you feel could take advantage of your proposed service.

In regards to charging a fee, I don't see anything wrong with this but I do believe the fee shouldn't be paid by the young mums to be. Perhaps offer a low fee to start with while your building a rep for yourself and increase it as demand increases. Do some research into what other motivational speakers charge and decide how your talk will compare. Keep in mind that many schools and other centres are on tight budgets so make your charges reflect that aspect.

All the best with your future as a motivational speaker.

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net
A marketing concept for businesses focussed on health, wellness, personal development and human growth.

-Strategic Brand Development
-High Impact Business Writing
-OnDemand "Cost-Per-Query" Marketing

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1266 Previous topic | Next topic