Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #842

Subject: "Need Ideas" Previous topic | Next topic
jenn713Sun Aug-12-07 03:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Need Ideas"

Hello my name is Jenn. I am actually here to try to get some ideas for a final project that I am working on for my business comunications class. Any ideas would be greatly apriciated.

I need to come up with a plan and powerpoint presentation for a company called GigiFast. It is a small video game development company. They are located in an office building with four floors. There is also an attorney, dentist and insurance company. The building will hold 1300 people at full cappacity.
The owners of the building supply space but little else in the way of service. The company needs more employees, but the operating budget will not allow for it presently. Meanwhile, the goal is to make the operations efficient while keeping the current employees happy.There is a break room with a refrigerator and a microwave, but, unfortunately, the break room is on the first floor, and Digifast is on the third floor.

I was thinking about possibly putting in some form of food serice...
any suggestions?

Thanks! Jenn713

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Need Ideas
Aug 07th 2007
Aug 20th 2007
Aug 23rd 2007
Sep 02nd 2007
Sep 15th 2007
Sep 16th 2007

zaydadesignsTue Aug-07-07 05:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#2. "RE: Need Ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Jenn,
Since this is for a business communications class and not a business strategy class, as long as you can present your case...

My impression is that there is something missing in the scenario you described. Is this the entire current situation of DigiFast?

If so, lets take a look at your suggestion for food service. First, explain why food service would make the office run more efficiently. What type of food service are you talking about? Vending machines? Cafeteria? Secondly, are there any expected expenses associated with your proposal? Third, do you have any statistics that can back your idea? Etc.

What are your other options? It is suggested that GigiFast is short-handed and has an operating budget to consider. Could GigiFast then create an internship program (unpaid)? Would this make the staff happier?

Just some ideas...Good luck!

ZaydaDesigns
http://www.zaydadesigns.etsy.com

wholesalemanMon Aug-20-07 03:59 PM

#3. "RE: Need Ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

I read that you have three goals

#1 more employees
#2 more efficient
#3 keep employees happy

You have decided that feeding them will reach these goals.

Let us look at goal #1 more employees
What about interns from the local college??
What about a contest for local college students to develop products or services you need? Think out side of the box.

Lets look at goal #2 More efficient
What about goal setting for current employees that tie bonesus to increased sales or cost savings??? Goals should be set by the workers not management. This builds ownership. Ownership builds sense of accomplishment and bonus dollars results in satisfaction

#3 Keep employees happy Well #1 and #2 will do that plus do FEED Them with monthly juncheons where you go over the accomplished goals and hand out the bonus checks.

wholesalemanThu Aug-23-07 04:53 PM

#4. "RE: Need Ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Jenn, the other poster made good points also. Is what we posted helpful to you????

WallandallSun Sep-02-07 02:24 AM

#5. "RE: Need Ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Here's a resource about what Google does for their employees...
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2007/

InspSGSat Sep-15-07 12:37 PM

#6. "RE: Need Ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

To operate a food business you must first talk to the proper
authorities such as the local or state health departments or
USDA or FDA. Sounds like a good idea, but you need to look at
what food you would be preparing or would you find an approved
source and just put in vending machines or a full fledge
kitchen. I have been a registered sanitarian for 37 yrs and
work in a local health department. There is much that you much
consider, cost of product, cost of equipment and what is
required etc.  Please contact me if I can be of further
service.  InspSG@aol.com
Sandy

jenn713Sun Sep-16-07 07:06 AM

#7. "RE: Need Ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

All of your sugestions and advice have been very helpful! I have ran several of your ideas, as well as some of my own; past my instructor. He was very impressed that I am tapping this resource. We have come to the conclusion that a food service would be a great addition to the building. None of my classmates are thinking along these lines. Most are talking about putting in a gym or daycare center. There is one student proposing an internship program. Between the two of us we have come to the conclusion that a cafe with on-site delivery and food carts for each business, is an excellent way to go. If you have anymore advice or ideas (such as menu) please let me know. As for the safety codes, I have looked into those. I have looked into health/sanitation codes, fire codes and building codes. Thank you for pointing out the fact that I needed to consider all of this. Thank you all for your help

Thanks! Jenn713

Lobby Startup Stew topic #842 Previous topic | Next topic