Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #803

Subject: "Help with non-profit !!!" Previous topic | Next topic
tpinonWed Jul-04-07 08:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help with non-profit !!!"

I began bouncing my idea for a non-profit concerning environmental issues off people and got great response. I wanted to protect it quickly and wasn't sure of how to copyright. It was suggested to me that filing for corporation would protect me temporarily, so I went and filed for LLC in FL. Was that the wrong one to file for if I want to get 501c3? Does it matter? I still have to copyright.

I got the domain names, webhost, etc. Getting logos, website and biz cards designed by web designer in my family (slow process cuz he's doing it for free).

I'm networking and contacting environmental scientists/lawyers/activists around the globe to offer information/advice for when the site launches. I'm writing down ideas for programs.

The biz plan: market analysis section...I'm clueless. (i have no biz background) Does it cost much to hire someone to do it for me? I know I need a good biz plan to get the 501c3. Don't want to take a risk, right? Projected budget for programs? How do I calculate that? I've been looking at sample plans online. They help a little, but need more detailed help without having to purchase some do-it-yourself thing.

Thanks a bunch...

Tpinon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Help with non-profit !!!
Jul 05th 2007
Jul 08th 2007
Feb 27th 2010

hostingdivaThu Jul-05-07 11:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Help with non-profit !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

You can get a 501(c)(3) with an LLC however, you will have to declare yourself as a corporation when you file your taxes.

I'm not exactly clear why you think you need a business plan to get a 501(c)(3) though... to even be eligible for a 501(c)(3) you have to have some non-profit purpose... and if you're going to go for a 501(c)(3) I would recommend you consult an attorney because while you may think this is the best option for you, it may not be.

Regarding your business plan, you may want to consider going and talking with someone at a SCORE office. They can sit down with you and talk you through the essentials.

Good luck!

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

wwcap1Sun Jul-08-07 06:35 AM

#2. "RE: Help with non-profit !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi: I don't think you have a clue about what you are doing business wise. You don't need a copyright unless your business is a written document. Is it? Probably not. You can copyright pertinent documents for your business, i.e. all materials used in marketing and advertising etc. If the name is important or the logo, or both you might want to look into a trademark.

If your idea is what you want to protect, there aren't many options quite frankly. You can use a non-disclosure agreement and have everyone you do busines with sign it. This is workable at first but can become so cumbersome you can't do it forever.

To get a 501(c)(3) you need to complete the application form provided by the IRS (you can get it online). You'll find that you'll almost be doing a full business plan in answer to their questions. You'll then file it with a hefty fee ($750 I think) and you'll start the process. If you are successful you'll first get a letter indicating that for the time being you can "act" as a 501(c)(3). It takes seven years to become completely approved and after sending in all your tax information and other information regarding the operations of the non-profit every year.

Hope this helps.

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC
http://www.capenerconsulting.com

Wealth24Sat Feb-27-10 01:25 PM

#3. "RE: Help with non-profit !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vilmarie Budde

I know someone well versed in nonprofit and she can help how much will it cost I dont know you can contact me vbudde@hotmail.com

Lobby Startup Stew topic #803 Previous topic | Next topic