Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #741

Subject: "How do I protect myself?" Previous topic | Next topic
jwensilWed Jun-13-07 06:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How do I protect myself?"

I posted this in another forum (sorry for double post...) but maybe it was the wrong forum as I haven't received any responses?

All,

I have an awesome idea. This idea has the potential to make a very large sum of money. I have made the prototype and not one person whom I've showed hasn't liked it.

I would post it here, but I need to make sure that I'm fully protected on it. I have gone through the usual steps of taking pictures and writing up a description with what it is, how to make it and what it will be used for to myself.

Now with that said, this is something that will be marketed strictly to cigarette companies. I need to find out approx. how much a patent will cost (I think it varies depending on the type of invention?). Also, once that has been completed, it's not really something that I need investors for since it costs a fraction of a cent to make, however I need to know how to market to the large cigarette companies. I guess I'm trying to find out my next steps. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. And as always, a BIG thanks to Idea Cafe for this website!

Jonathan~
jwensil@yahoo.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How do I protect myself?
Jun 13th 2007
RE: How do I protect myself?
Jun 14th 2007

nlmccreWed Jun-13-07 08:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: How do I protect myself?"
In response to Reply # 0

OK... so you have a product and need to go from there. Simple, really. I believe the cost for a patent is somewhere in the ballpark of $250.00. However, before you can apply for a patent, you need to do the research and make sure that there isn't already a product like yours out there. This can take a long time, since there are literally millions of patents and I am not sure of how they are listed.

Once you get your patent #, (even if it is pending) whatever packaging you have or even on the product itself, you'll need to have the words patent# or patent pending, along with the actual number.

Finally to market to cigarette companies, you can either DIY, or you can employ a marketing firm. Doing it yourself is more cost effective, but is also time consuming and stressful. My suggestion would be to create some marketing materials. These materials can be tricky, since you are basically entering into the sales arena and you want these executives to see why your product is essential to their customers needs. You'll also want to call all of the cigarette companies and find out who is responsible for purchasing and product integration. Get this 411 along with the mailing address for each company. Each one of these companies you'll send a sample to at no cost.

About a week after you have mailed out the samples, follow up with a phone call. Be sure to ask for the person by name. Chances are, you will get a secretary. Schmoozing around them can be tricky, so be tactful. If you do get the secretary, tell her that you are following up on some correspondence with "so-and-so". You're not lying to her, but at the same time, you're not giving away that you are trying to sell something either.

Make sure your contact information is overstated, IE. on several pieces of literature. Include cost per item and bulk discounts if you plan on offering them. If it's something that is designed to work with a cigarette, then be sure to have one attached to your invention. And whatever you do---HAVE EVERYTHING HANDY FOR THESE EXECUTIVES. Their lives are busy enough and you want to look like the person who thought of everything.

I hope this helps. I'm not a marketing professional, but I do have several years of sales under my belt and this is the road I would take.

ZeroGCreativeThu Jun-14-07 04:01 PM

#2. "RE: How do I protect myself?"
In response to Reply # 1

The acual patent may only be about $250, but be prepared to dish out about $8-$10,000 for your patent attorney to research and file it for you. You will never be able to do the research yourself. It would take years to learn how to properly research and then more years to do the research. You realize there are millions of patents out there. And it is a VERY long process to acquire one. That is why you will see "patent pending" on products that are released to the public that haven't gotten their offical patent back yet. There are attorney's that specialize in only patents and trademarks. Because once you get the patent, then you must register your trademark as well. So you must first find a good patent attorney and get your quotes. But be prepared for the large price tag. If you believe in your product, then it would be worth it.

Hope this helps.

Jen Dudley
www.zerogcreative.com
Whether you need a new logo, business card, brochure or web site, Zero-G delivers incredible results at an affordable price. When it comes to your business, reach for the stars? Not your wallet.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #741 Previous topic | Next topic