Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #367

Subject: "How To Get Funded!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
ZillyTue Jan-30-07 07:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How To Get Funded!!!"

My fiance wants to buy into an existing business (beer distributor).

He has been turned down for a loan from PNC bank and also the SBA.

Is there another way to get a loan to buy out the partner or to even start one of his own?

Telecommuting Database
www.GopherGetters.com

Visit the Discussion Forum for free job leads!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How To Get Funded!!!
Jan 31st 2007
Jan 31st 2007
Jan 31st 2007
Feb 01st 2007
Feb 01st 2007
Feb 01st 2007
Feb 01st 2007
Feb 22nd 2007
Feb 23rd 2007
Mar 09th 2007
Mar 09th 2007

BizConsultingWed Jan-31-07 05:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Banks are known for turning down start-up business unless you have a long term relationship with someone at the bank. If he doesn't have one, he needs to start building a relationship now. Find someone who is going to take care of him and his needs.

The SBA is more likely to give you a loan than your fiance (unless he is some minority status). If there is a way for you to go into business with him and you be majority owner, you have a better shot with the SBA.

The other poster brings up good questions about family and friends to borrow from. Can any of them help? Do you have a house that you can borrow against? 401k money or something?

Obviously this is an already established business. Does your finance already own part of the business and he is trying to buy out his partner? Or is he just trying to buy this business?

I am happy to speak with you and/or your fiance off line if you are interested.

Suzanne
SHB Consultants, Inc.
www.newbiz-coaching.com
Check out our E-book the "Entrepreneurs Handbook"
SHB Consultants, Inc.

bizdevWed Jan-31-07 02:25 PM

#2. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

What was the reason your fiance was turned down for the SBA loan?

Their basic qualifications are that you must bring 20-30% of the required start up cost to the table yourself and you must have applicable experience in the industry that you are going into.

Being a minority has nothing to do with qualifying for an SBA backed loan. You can be a minority with multiple disabilities it won't make a difference. That's not how they work.

Since this is an existing business, perhaps the numbers didn't look appealing?

Did he have a solid business plan? That is another essential element to meeting the qualifcations.

He should meet with his local SBDC counselors (Small Business Development Center found in many local colleges). They can offer excellent advice (for free). Also see my site below for more ideas.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

ZillyWed Jan-31-07 02:56 PM

#3. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

He filed for bankruptcy 9 years ago...the bank told him he has one more year before anyone would touch him. He tried for the full amount and 10% of the amount, in which the co-owner said if he could come up with $40,000, he'd lend him the rest.

It's an established business, one of the co-owners are selling his share.

However, his credit is in perfect standing other than the black mark from the bankruptcy. My credit was ruined by my ex-husband and will take years for it to be fixed.

Are there any grants available, anything? Or are we s**t out of luck?

Telecommuting Database
www.GopherGetters.com

bizdevThu Feb-01-07 01:20 AM

#4. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Grants? No, not available for what you are looking for. The very few grants that are made available to for-profit businesses are usually very small ($500-$1500) and the competition is unbelievable. Don't waste your time or resources going down that dead end.

With both of you having serious credit issues, you likely won't be able to get a traditional loan. There are still options out there if the total amount is not outrageous. $40,000 sounds like the minimum he would need?

Realistically, it's going to be a long shot. I offer some other options in my start up kit below.

Sylvia

ZillyThu Feb-01-07 01:43 AM

#5. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for your advice.

But we got that e-book for free from the state of PA.

Telecommuting Database
www.GopherGetters.com

bizdevThu Feb-01-07 03:44 PM

#6. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

>Thanks for your advice.
>
>But we got that e-book for free from the state of PA.

What ebook are you talking about?

Sylvia

ZillyThu Feb-01-07 06:53 PM

#7. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

The one you had just advertised to me. We have every bit of that information in the e-book the state of PA sent us.

I'm also a certified small business owner and have a BA in Business Management. I was just wondering if there were any kind of hidden sources that we could quite possibly get funding from. But, as my education proves, there are none. Sorry to waste anyone's time... We were just looking for more $$. And was hoping to find out if anyone knew another way of getting start-up money aside from the SBA and the banks.

Thanks

Telecommuting Database
www.GopherGetters.com

Roseb441702Thu Feb-22-07 09:16 PM

#8. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

>Grants? No, not available for what you are looking for. The
>very few grants that are made available to for-profit
>businesses are usually very small ($500-$1500) and the
>competition is unbelievable. Don't waste your time or
>resources going down that dead end.
>

Unfortunately that isn't true. I personally know of one grant program for those that want to start their own business that awards $20,000 in grant money (to more than one recipient) HOWEVER this program isn't for those that want to buy an existing business.

Finding funding to buy an existing business will be more harder but not impossible.

Rose
Grant Basics 101
http://grantbasics101.bravehost.com/grants.htm

fishrangFri Feb-23-07 05:24 PM

#9. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I just started raising capital with BEDZZZ INN, Inc who has raised $92,867 in 90 Days Online. My transition to raising capital was smooth. I am on my way to raising capital needed to start my business too. Check this site out or email me about this awesome idea. Try this link: http://www.bedzzzinn.com/raisecapitalswiseman.html

fishrang
www.halfmoonsales.com
sales@halfmoonsales.com

AxCaliburFri Mar-09-07 07:18 AM

#10. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

You might want to check with the microenterprise initiative offices in your state. Here in Nevada we have 3 of them, 1 in Reno, 1 in Carson City, and 1 in Las Vegas. They are part of the national microenterprise system, and you can get small start up grants from 100 to 10,000 dollars for start ups for new or existing business acquisitions.

AxCaliburFri Mar-09-07 07:22 AM

#11. "RE: How To Get Funded!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Oh yeah, in order to qualify, it is REQUIRED that you have been turned down by a bank &/or the SBA. So your turn downs actually help you. Your credit problems aren't too much of an obstacle with the microenterprise initiatives as long as you don't have any IRS tax liens

Lobby Startup Stew topic #367 Previous topic | Next topic