Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #2422

Subject: "Social Enterprise" Previous topic | Next topic
melissaMon Jun-02-14 12:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Social Enterprise"

I have one non profit SIMPLE Transitions, Inc. (that of which my 501c3) was revoked, and two for profit businesses (Modern Queens Boutique and Makeover Salon, LLC and STS Associates: Counseling & Coaching). Before I reinstate my nonprfit back to 501c3 status, I needed some advice about creating a social enterprise since the two for-profits will be generating a percentage of its revenue towards the non profit's programs. It will be sustainable income for the SIMPLE Transitions. The Modern Queens Boutique is not only a retail women's boutique, it is also a stem from support component of the women's program and a learning tool to help clients who partcipates in the training program to gain work experience and vocational skills training.

SIMPLE Transitions, Incorporated has four components: Education, Training, Support, and Service. I have a for-profit either already started and idea developed that will sustain each component under one umbrella.

The second for-profit business is a STS Associates Counseling & Coaching firm that stems from another Support services components of the nonprofit.

The third for-profit idea that is in the developmental stages is to provide my clients with childcare services while attending the programs that are mandatory and/or voluntary. This will go under the Education component of the program.

the forth for-profit idea is a small cafe shop that will stem from the service component. It will consist of a Green environment and eating healthier choices of foods along with therapeutic ailments such as teas from around the world, aroma therapeutic candles, and natural minerals of the earth that heals from the inside out. This cafe shop is designed to heal the soul. It's clearly an environmental friendly cafe shop.

So, as you see, I have an excellent idea for a nonprofit that has sustainable income but don't know whether I should make this a social enterprise or keep everthing separate.

I need your advice please. I don't know where to start. My mind is racing with many ideas and I may need to stop and start one entity at a time. What do you suggest?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby
Lobby Startup Stew topic #2422 Previous topic | Next topic