Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #2019

Subject: "Need help, trying to promote Mobile Food Service" Previous topic | Next topic
JIMMYZ5150Tue Jan-19-10 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Need help, trying to promote Mobile Food Service"

Hey new here...
I recently acquired a mobile kitchen. It's a full service kitchen on wheels basically, not a "roach coach"...lol.It's got a flat top grill, dbl burner,2 steam tables,freezer,4 sinks. It's all inside a bread truck, if that helps visualize.

I've called it "Cooking on the Run". I want to go after employees for on-site lunches, cooked fresh on the spot.

I was let go from where i subcontracted, because I wanted to go part time to work on this business.Now I've got all my energy into this, but it's getting disheartening!! Even job hunting is hard, and I have this truck in the driveway to work.

The Problem Is: I have put money into graphics, bus cards, menus, etc.. Not to mention food prep. I'm pretty good in PhotoShop, so all it cost me was time and printing.

I am offering a call ahead service (can't afford food waste). I have promoted to some medical facilities,manuf plants, car lots,etc... nobody is calling. I can't thaw food and no one buy when i show up, right?

I've got Nathan's dogs, BBQ, sloppy joe, panini's, Philly's, burgers...etc. Most expensive item is the Philly's $6.50 (chips,drink,taxes included)all good food.

Does anyone have any idea's of how to get this rolling ? It's the hot dog cart theory, just bigger.

Thanks Jim

Hope I didn't babble to much

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Need help, trying to promote Mobile Food Service
Feb 01st 2010
Feb 03rd 2010
Feb 03rd 2010
Feb 27th 2010

hostingdivaMon Feb-01-10 01:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Need help, trying to promote Mobile Food Service"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Jim:

Don't get discouraged - but honetly, as the saying goes, it takes money to make money. I would recommend you defrost some of your food and set up shop somewhere where crowds gather during lunch time. When you run out of your food, then you can pack up and leave. But, you should be prepared to be in the same spot for the week. You'll have more people come when they know you're going to be there.

You may also want to look here for other food trucks - maybe you can get listed or figure something more unique to prepare to keep people coming back http://www.findlafoodtrucks.com/links.php

Best of luck!!

~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

maia31Wed Feb-03-10 08:43 AM

#2. "RE: Need help, trying to promote Mobile Food Service"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi, I admire your innovativeness in forming such a business.
Cart business is effective as long as you have a loyal customers. The best thing to do it is to adverstise. The good news is we can help you with that. We are a company that offers different kind of services that could helpful to your business. One of our major services is graphic designing. Our rate is very minimal that anyone can afford without compromising with the result. All you have to do is to log on to www.secretstaff.com and register for free and submit your request. So, contact us now.

Regards,

Cathy

JIMMYZ5150Wed Feb-03-10 11:10 AM

#3. "RE: Need help, trying to promote Mobile Food Service"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey thanks for some of the thoughts...

I'll keep thinking

Wealth24Sat Feb-27-10 07:44 AM

#4. "RE: Need help, trying to promote Mobile Food Service"
In response to Reply # 0

Vilmarie Budde

The reason I can see is for example a philly cheese steak with chips and drink seems to much at 6.50 and you need to see the area you are in and live in to price.Otherwise the economy is pushing people to take lunch from home and that is killing it as well. You also need to think of taste maybe there is not much taste in your food at times people go by taste

Lobby Startup Stew topic #2019 Previous topic | Next topic