Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #2007

Subject: "Gift Basket Business" Previous topic | Next topic
GiftBasketMommaMon Mar-01-10 01:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Gift Basket Business"

Hey guys! I just joined and I'm really considering starting a home based gift basket business. My issue is that when I put everything down on paper, it just seems like so much for me to do on my own and with the new baby on the way. I was wondering if you thought it was a good idea to just start off with baby and maternity gift baskets, you know, like a niche. Or, should I just go all out an not limit myself to any one type of basket. I'm planning on starting it in July giving myself enough time for all the legal, marketing, and supplies. What do you think??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Gift Basket Business
Jan 09th 2010
Jan 11th 2010
Jan 15th 2010
Mar 01st 2010
Apr 09th 2010

annalaurabrownSat Jan-09-10 11:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Gift Basket Business"
In response to Reply # 0

I think focusing in on one niche is a great idea. There are lots of gift basket businesses out there and so having a specialty is always a great idea. You also will need to think about where you are going to store all that inventory.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

jkundertMon Jan-11-10 02:03 PM

#2. "RE: Gift Basket Business"
In response to Reply # 0

i agree and disagree, a niche can be good, but a niche can also hold you back from gaining other sales, if it is too much for you to handle have you considered a partner? there are many ways to do a partnership. you could bring in a partner and give them 50% of every dollar they bring in or even a smaller percentage. Just a thought. I am more than willing to talk thru some ideas with you.

Joshua Kundert
Joshua Kundert consulting
http://joshkundertconsulting.com
josh@joshkundertconsulting.com
866-584-6508

hostingdivaFri Jan-15-10 03:08 AM

#3. "RE: Gift Basket Business"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with BizResearcher - there are many gift basket companies that do not do too well. In the last few years, specifically, many have gone out of business. Gift basket items are not necessity items so they can be harder to sell in a down economy.

But, this should not discourage you because all these businesses going out of business opens the door for you to start your own business. You will just need to be a bit more innovative. Maybe you can offer "recession" themed baskets where you provide necessities rather than just wants.

There are many niches available that you can give some attention to. I think baby baskets are always good because people are having babies even in the recession. You can also consider going away to college baskets, green themed baskets, and organic skin care themed baskets.

I don't see any reason you can't do it, you just need to be prepared to put in the marketing time and money.

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

webdivaMon Mar-01-10 12:35 PM

#5. "RE: Gift Basket Business"
In response to Reply # 0

If this is your first baby you are highly under estimating the work involved in taking care of a newborn and a new business at the same time. You also must have training for gift basket assembly. But biggest of all is having a diverse inventory (I have a basement full of baskets and out dated foodstuff that never sold). That is a lot to handle and quite an investment.

However, if you are inclined to start some business at home, why not try a diaper cake biz? No perishables and hey, if you buy wholesale (which you must!), you can get good deals on your own personal baby items.

Otherwise, you may consider selling over the internet with drop shippers (the wholesale company ships the products when you make a sale). No inventory, no overhead. That biz model works great for me.

Best wishes with the new baby.
Julia
http://www.StorkandVeil.com

The more you know, the more you don't know.
http://www.How2BooksandVideos.com:D

bloomingFri Apr-09-10 08:59 AM

#6. "RE: Gift Basket Business"
In response to Reply # 0

I have worked with this somewhat...we have seen much success in using realestate offices..they use them as thank you gifts to clients, also insureance companysand so on...you also might want to check large cubicle companys for their newsletter ads, make an kind of gift available..I would not limit it to just one type either
Jean info@thebridalbiz.com

Lobby Startup Stew topic #2007 Previous topic | Next topic