Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1733

Subject: "business is ready to go but how to register business online" Previous topic | Next topic
jenfaganWed Apr-15-09 10:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"business is ready to go but how to register business online"

Hi, I am creating a website that is similar to a Craig's List type of community based website but different in many ways. The website is now built and almost ready to launch, but I do not know where to start registering my business (DBA?) or do I even need to do that...we have a name for the business.

I still have to create terms of use and most likely have the business be an LLC. What are the steps...we have a name and a website. Which state do I register the business with...I live in NY and my co-partner lives in NJ. The business will be servicing all states. Where do I register the business...do I need a DBA? or can I just form an LLC. we have already spent a lot of money...and I am hoping to launch it with out a lot of red tape and money. Do I need to hire an attorney.. Thanks for any help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: business is ready to go but how to register business online
Apr 18th 2009
Apr 18th 2009
Apr 18th 2009
Apr 19th 2009
Feb 27th 2010

paul10507Sat Apr-18-09 03:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: business is ready to go but how to register business online"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like LLC makes sense. It gives you some liability protection and the profit (loss) flows directly to the owners so you'll pay taxes in NY and your partner in NJ. Cheap way is online. For around $ 200 (or less) online incorporation companies will do it.Can form wherever you want, ny , NJ or del if you want, different states have different corporate regs. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the expected revenues or potential liabilities so probably worth an hour of attorney or accountants time to discuss.

DBA (doing business as) only needed if your business name is different than your corporate name. IE: your corporate name is
"two guys, LLC" but your business is "Better than Craig's list.com"

Sounds like a sophisticated endeavor. We sometimes work with startups
and are looking for internet/computer technology companies that have growth potential. i'd be interested in knowing more if you care to share.

Thanks,
Paul

jenfaganSat Apr-18-09 04:09 AM

#2. "RE: business is ready to go but how to register business online"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Paul for all your great info...helps a lot.

Yes, please keep in touch and I will share the site when it is
open and ready.

Let me know what your company is and does and I would like to
check it out.

Thanks,
Jen

jenfaganwilson@gmail.com

paul10507Sat Apr-18-09 05:05 AM

#3. "RE: business is ready to go but how to register business online"
In response to Reply # 2

Jen,

We are actually an informal group of business people that participate in different projects. Primarily we are involved in helping small companies structure to become public or help small public companies re-structure. We also help companies franchise. Our group includes marketing people, specialty attorneys etc. We are not a funding group but help companies, based on certain criteria, prepare for funding,

I don?t think any of that would relate to your business BUT we do also look for new projects that have potential. Sometimes we can ?match up? complimentary business? to leverage their capabilities or marketing strategies. We are NOT particularly internet savvy but are well aware of the potential for a well funded and structured internet concept.

So, after all that, we probably would not be of any help to you. But, if you feel that your business has strong potential there may be some mutual benefits to explore.

Please do keep me informed.

Thank you,
Paul
paul10507@yahoo.com

SmarterToBarterSun Apr-19-09 05:46 AM

#4. "RE: business is ready to go but how to register business online"
In response to Reply # 0

I wish you luck with your new business. Consult with an attorney and an accountant. Do not overlook this step. This is not a step you want to cost cost on and tackle on your own. You mentioned you already have money invested in this, protect it. You need these professionals in your corner.

Also, have a working partnership agreement in place. Work the details out now before you start making money or losing money. Play the devils advocate and answer all the ugly questions now. What happens if you or your partner want to leave the business? Who has the final say when you disagree? What happens in the event of a death of a partner?

Invest with a good account and attorney now. One way or another you will pay for their services. It is much cheaper to do it now.

Wealth24Sat Feb-27-10 10:41 AM

#5. "RE: business is ready to go but how to register business online"
In response to Reply # 0

Vilmarie Budde

You can register it in either state just get your ein number from the government for tax purposes and go to the court house and register the name

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1733 Previous topic | Next topic