Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1467

Subject: "Setting up the legal side..." Previous topic | Next topic
VeshFri Aug-15-08 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Setting up the legal side..."

Hi I have setup a Family Partnership for a engineering services company but due to the nature of my work, I believe I could very easily be sued for damages.

I have the following legal type questions...

1) What sort of insurances would I need for this type of work?
2) Should this business structure be a "limited" one to protect myself?
3) Are you legally allowed to specify in terms and conditions of contracts that I am not accountable for any 'disasters' occuring from my work?

If the answer is I should just seek professional legal advice, can someone direct me to where I go to find someone ideally experienced in technical consulting of new businesses?

Thanks, Vesh.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Setting up the legal side...
Aug 15th 2008
RE: Setting up the legal side...
Aug 17th 2008

yamoneyFri Aug-15-08 02:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Setting up the legal side..."
In response to Reply # 0

Business Credit Services is probally the most elite & affordable service on the Market to protect you legally in establishing your operation. Go to the following link to review their website.

http://affiliate.bcscredit.com/Login.aspx?AFID=30921

Thank you!

Fundraiser 1.0? - Raise Up To $11 Million Dollars in Capital- Learn How!

hostingdivaSun Aug-17-08 10:06 AM

#2. "RE: Setting up the legal side..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Vesh-

Regarding insurance, you should talk to an insurance agent. You could get the General Commercial Liability policy but I don't think that would be enough for you because it will probably have too many exclusions. So you may need a specialy drawn policy. You can consult any insurance broker - you can just look in the yellow pages under insurance and I'm sure you'll find someone. I woud look for someone that deals with many insurance companies and not just one so that you can get a better deal.

Regarding the business structure and the legal stuff - you should contact an attorney. This won't be cheap but it will be worth the price - especially if you get sued. A partnership will not protect you from liability like you want. You should restructure into either an LLC or a Corporation. An LLC will be easier. Regarding the contract, yes, you can specify things that you are not responsible for - but the better way would be to say that you are only responsible for things that are explicitly listed in the contract. It may be easier for you to contact an attorney in your area - you can go to http://www.martindale.com to find an attorney who specialized in what you need.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1467 Previous topic | Next topic