Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1309

Subject: "Please tell me that I'm not the only one..." Previous topic | Next topic
EVMon Jun-23-08 12:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Please tell me that I'm not the only one..."

who has suffered some set-backs when building your website. Please tell me it took a long time for you to finally be pleased with it. I am really bummed at the moment. I've been using an Indian company to develop my site and they have done a great job, but when I requested them to correct a mistake it was like pulling teeth.

Anyone else had set backs with your website?

How long did it take you to get it complete to the point that you were satisfied with it?

Sorry, I just needed to vent. I also posted this on Tech Talk thread hoping to get some perspective and words of wisdoms

EV

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only..
Jun 09th 2008
RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only..
Jun 09th 2008
RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only one...
Jun 27th 2008
Jun 27th 2008
Jul 09th 2008
Jul 20th 2008

oviedostyleMon Jun-09-08 04:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only.."
In response to Reply # 0

I am still working on my website! I use Front Page, and do the maintenance myself. It was probably a year till I was really happy with it, but I am always looking for ways to make it better.
Good Luck!

Leah Oviedo
Mercado del Mundo

EVMon Jun-09-08 06:22 AM

#2. "RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only.."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the response, Leah. I guess I have to accept that it will be an ongoing thing.

jswank02Fri Jun-27-08 04:23 AM

#4. "RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only one..."
In response to Reply # 0

I use Register.com its so easy. check it out www.jswank.com

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
www.jswank.com
info@jswank.com

iElectrifyFri Jun-27-08 07:50 AM

#5. "RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only one..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hi EV,

Hehe, I'm a full time web designer and even *I* am a perfectionist when it comes to my websites (and those of my clients as well!) A website really is a full-time investment. You really can't just set it up, sit back and watch the orders come in -- doesn't work like that.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such trouble with your Indian web developers. I don't know where you're based at but perhaps you can hire a designer a little closer to home that you can call and check in with regularly?

It's worth the extra money and saving hassles and headaches you get from outsourcing!

Professional and affordable website design and search engine marketing - http://www.ielectrify.com

tettegoucheWed Jul-09-08 11:56 AM

#6. "RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only one..."
In response to Reply # 0

EV,

I hope you have resolved your website woes by now. If not, I would recommend, as most other posting have, that you hire a web designer who will work with you to clean up what you have of your website so far.

Communication is key. If your designers are on another continent speaking another language, no matter how cheap it is, that lack of communication will show up in your final product.

best,

www.HostRail.com

www.DylanDesignLab.com

hostingdivaSun Jul-20-08 07:00 AM

#7. "RE: Please tell me that I'm not the only one..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hi EV:

I've heard your story more times than I can count. We generally advise people to do the work themselves if they can find a do it yourself system that they can use (or one that has good support). You can still have the professional look and you'll save a ton of money and heart-ache.

But, keep in mind that building a website is an ongoing process - your site, specifically your home page, should be updated on a regular basis (that's how you keep the search engines interested!).

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1309 Previous topic | Next topic