Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1220

Subject: "Why is it so hard to sell my products!" Previous topic | Next topic
MaureenThu Apr-17-08 03:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why is it so hard to sell my products!"

What is going on. I have a wholesale item that is well made, inexpensive and everyone can use them. We are the inventors and manufacture of the HAT CLIP. 1000's of uses. www.thehatclip.com can explain all the uses. I want to sell millions of these things and can not find a wholesale dealer that sell small novilty items. (and not from the lack of trying) I have sold this item in small quantities all over the USA. We are all over the web and ebay. WHERE IS MY BIG FISH. Where are these people hiding.

anyone..anyone

Thanks
Maureen

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!
Apr 18th 2008
Apr 24th 2008
Apr 18th 2008
Apr 24th 2008
Apr 24th 2008
Apr 26th 2008
May 12th 2008
May 13th 2008
May 20th 2008

RocketScientistFri Apr-18-08 04:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 0

That's a VERY cool product. Have you tried targeting PPC ads on GOOGLE?

Also, I would think you could contact hat manufacturers to see if they would 'give' these away with the purchase of a hat or cap.

Can you approach golf clubs or organizations? Maybe send a few gratis samples to famous sports figures, such as Tiger or someone in baseball or even referees at little league games.

I would think this item could literally sell itself at construction sites from roach coach snack wagons.

Try these ideas out, and let me know if they work!

MaureenThu Apr-24-08 04:20 AM

#3. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 1

Great ideas..thank you for posting on my question
I am running with google and yes that is a great resourse. I went to MLB and what a shock $250 non-refundalble of course, just for the application less then 10 percent are excepted. plus $15K a year for rights and 12 percent give backs. I had the Tigers, Soxs and the blue jay all wanting 1000pcs each big deal that does not cover the cost at all. What a joke.

I love the roach wagon idea!!!
I send out samples all the time. I am looking for a distribution chain. I can sell 100 here and there i want millions to be sold.

Thanks again for your ideas keep them coming!!
Maureen

PhanntomFri Apr-18-08 08:44 AM

#2. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 0

Maureen,

Rarely do BIG FISH pioneer products. The let the manufacturer create a market and then they jump in. I could see Lowe's, HomeDepot and Menards carrying these things right at the cash register. I think it's a great product, but even the electric drill had to be sold, and if he were alive, you could ask Henry Ford how difficult it was to sell cars back then.

I certainly wouldn't be afraid to contact buyers at the three I mentioned above. If I were doing it, here's how I would go about it. I'd first get a Menards, Lowe's, and HD hat if they have them. For Lowe's you could order a Jimmy Johnson Lowe's hat. Once I had them in hand, I'd call and find out the buyers name that handles that particular type of product and I'd call them and ask if I could send them a sample to look at. If they say yes, which they probably will, I'd send 2 samples. One loose, and one placed on their hat. I'd send them FedEx overnite so they don't have time to forget the conversation. I'll bet you'll get a callback from each one. I think the hat is important so they can see it in action rather than having to visualize it or see it in a picture.
Good luck
Denny

Denny

MaureenThu Apr-24-08 04:27 AM

#4. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 2

Thank you for your ideas. All of which are great and which I have done with the hats. You are right they have to see it. I did get the interest from the HD and Lowes. But here is the catch. I have to pay for shelf space for each store. $10K to $50K depending on the store. As well as pay for storage at the holding locations. They make all the money off me and they do not purchase the merchandise you give it to them to sell and they cut you a check minus all the fees. I would end up sending them a check..Again big business makes money from all ends. I have been at this for 4 years now. I would love to contact a company that is already involved at that level

Thanks for your ideas keep them coming
Maureen

SjonesThu Apr-24-08 11:26 AM

#5. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 0

Your product is clever and very practical. Have you tried getting your product in any of the "logo gift catalogs"? I had worked for a large company that used a few vendor/suppliers to purchase all their "chochcies" is what we call them for everything. The vendors have catalogs that they use to promote the vast varity of products that companies can put their logos on - to all the big corporations as well as any company needing branding items. Our company had service men in the field, lots of construction areas, etc. that your product would be perfect for not to mention employees that like to purchase items that are unique and have their company's logo on it. One problem is the "Corporate" purchases from the suppliers - so your product would need to be in their catalog.

You sound like you have done pretty much everything and know a lot about your options, but I just thought I would throw this out there since I know from experience companies spend A LOT of money annually on "branding items" not only as sponsorships, but for their employees through their employee stores. They also make great employee "thank you's".

Good luck, I am sure we will see your products for years to come.

Sandie

MaureenSat Apr-26-08 03:16 PM

#6. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi Sandie Thanks for your ideas what are some names of these companies, or keywords to search.. This is why this forum is great i looking for this kind of info. Again Thank You and I will let you know my success rate with this avenue.
Maureen

SjonesMon May-12-08 11:16 AM

#7. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 6

So sorry it has taken me so long to get back - I would do a search for "promotional items" and then contact them directly. Ask how you might become one of their suppliers. I have included some names of Vendors that I have seen to get you started. See if you can get them to work with you directly:

Great Impact http://www.greatimpact.com/

April's Images: http://www.aprilsimages.com/

4imprint: http://www.4imprint.com/default.aspx?mkid=2_gen_promotional_2&s_kwcid=TC-1649-84078082521-S-9534931521

Sterling Promotional Gifts: http://www.sterlingpromotionalgifts.com/

Just search in Google or Yahoo for "promotional items" and see what you get.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Sandie

MaureenTue May-13-08 03:39 AM

#8. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 7

Im gonna get start today on those leads. Thank you so much
I will keep u posted. Im starting to hit the local union chapters. They love the hard hat option.
Have a great intended day
Maureen

SjonesTue May-20-08 06:11 AM

#9. "RE: Why is it so hard to sell my products!"
In response to Reply # 8

Hello again, I was just reading through some of the "Featured" Cafe' companies and found Walder Lugo, owner of Only4Promo http://only4promo.com/default.aspx

You may want to contact him directly as well. If you go to his sight you will see he has tons of Promotional items - maybe he can tell you how to get your item out there. It is definitely worth the ask!

His info was: Walder Lugo, walder@only4promo.com

Good luck.

Sandie

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1220 Previous topic | Next topic