Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Tech Talk topic #91

Subject: "Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?" Previous topic | Next topic
Francie WardThu Jan-29-09 06:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?"

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I've been encountering some real irritations trying to do business as usual while traveling. So I'd appreciate any tips you can share.

By the way I use a Mac, which normally is pretty cooperative anywhere.

Has anyone tried those usb internet access devices which connect via your cell signals?
I think the official name for them is "mobile broadband usb modems" -- they provide a wireless connection for your desktop and laptop.

I've noticed more and more people using them in airports.

If you use one, I'd love to hear how it works for you...
Is it slow, or not bad?
Do you have any warnings you can pass on to the rest of us (particularly of problems you've had with your cell phone service provider or glitches in general).

Can you send email out as usual without having to open up new email accounts for this purpose?

Thanks,
Francie

Francie Ward
Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Idea CafeŽ Inc.
"The Fun Place for Serious Business"(sm)
http://www.ideacafe.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?
Apr 11th 2008
Apr 11th 2008
Apr 13th 2008
Jan 02nd 2009
Jan 06th 2009
May 15th 2009

DanLaBateFri Apr-11-08 09:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?"
In response to Reply # 0

I am not a mac user, but I did come across this resource that looks like it may make the process easier.
From what I understand using a mobile bradband usb modem that uses your cell phone can be a chore to set up, this software boasts that it automates the process by auto configuring settings.

Read more about the product here: http://www.novamedia.de/index_e.html

Hope this helps.

--

Dan La Bate
Creative Director & SEM - Engines of Creation.com
http://enginesofcreation.com

Phone: 518.842.3242
Fax: 866.643.4125
dan@enginesofcreation.com

saltedFri Apr-11-08 10:45 AM

#2. "RE: Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-11-08 10:46 AM by salted

I'd be interested to know the answer to your question, too, as my husband and I run a home-based business and have talked about getting a Mac laptop as well as purchasing one of those wireless connections as well. It would be great to know how easy and cost effective it is or isn't to determine if we should take the plunge, too.

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

OfficeHelperSun Apr-13-08 02:54 AM

#3. "RE: Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Francine and Members of IdeaCafe,

I wish I could help myself but I'm a software trainer. That being said I'm writing as my brother (owner of ComputerGeeksOnline.net) is a miracle worker when it comes to computers!!

His entire company is based on remote computer support. Put it this way. Last year, he was broadcasting live cam images from a beach in Miami on his FL cam website SunCam.tv

He's your source! His name is Ross Deprey and his site is: ComputerGeeksOnline.net Please tell him that his big sister sent you

Kimberly Deprey
UpOnOffice.com

dogatemycomputeFri Jan-02-09 07:44 AM

#4. "RE: Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?"
In response to Reply # 0

>If you use one, I'd love to hear how it works for you...
>Is it slow, or not bad?
>Do you have any warnings you can pass on to the rest of us
>(particularly of problems you've had with your cell phone
>service provider or glitches in general).

Every solution is different and requires some Q&A before making a suggestion. I can give you my thoughts but my solution will not fit your needs.

You should find a qualified computer technician in your area that you trust. Look for someone who is MCSE and CCNA or CCNE certified who also has experienced supporting small businesses. S/he should be able to answer all of your questions, suggest a solution, help you implement it and test it. Please check references!

VinnyPanicoTue Jan-06-09 06:38 PM

#5. "RE: Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?"
In response to Reply # 0

I recommend the PCMCIA (the flat card) Verizon Aircard. It's really fast. It produces near broadband speeds. They don't connect through your cell phone, so it isn't a hassle at all. You can talk on your phone and use the card at the same time. It's like $50/month for the plan, plus like $200 for the card it's self. Trust me... it's definitely worth it. Once you have it, you can pretty much lose the internet line at your house all together.

Just one bad thing I've noticed. Some hotels use what are called deadening wires to kill cell signal so you have to use the desk phone. This also kills the signal to the Aircard. Usually if you sit as close to the window as possible you can still get internet, but that's a pain.

Vinny Panico
CEO, NJ Tech Medics
http://www.NJTechMedics.com
We specialize in everything technological. We love partnering with new and small businesses to set them up with exactly what they need!

lewgard08Fri May-15-09 09:25 AM

#7. "RE: Any tips for accessing the Internet and email on the road?"
In response to Reply # 0

I use Verizon's mobile broadband USB (aka EVDO broadband), formerly Alltel. I know both Sprint and Verizon offer this service. Because I live in the country, cable internet is not an option and satellite is too expensive and limiting for my web work. So, after a ton of research, I learned of EVDO.

It basically is a small "card" that plugs into your USB port, you hit the connect button, and you're online. The signal is the same as that of cell phone signal. I have read that it is secure because data is transferred in particles - not in complete pieces of data (so to speak). I paid $50.00 for the card and about $60.00 each month for the service. The bandwidth is currently unlimited with my Verizon card - because I was originally with Alltel before Verizon purchased it. I'm not 100% sure if Verizon has a bandwidth limit; I'm pretty sure Sprint does.

Prior to purchasing my card with Verizon (alletl), I had to determine which company offered the service in my area as I wanted the best signal at my home. The links below have links to help figure out which company to go with. While traveling, though, I beleive there is seamless coverage regardless of the card you select.

So far - after a little over a year with the card - I am very satisfied. The speed is about 10x that of my old dial-up account. I have used my card with great results while traveling - either in a hotel room, at a restaraunt that doesn't have wifi, or while a passenger in a car. I rarely get disconnected, although some days the speed is slower than others. Hills, trees, etc. will effect the
speed.

Here is a link for more info:
http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/37/61/
http://www.evdoforums.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------

www.ewomanweb.com
Legitimate Work From Home Jobs

www.mystylehandbags.com
Cheap Purses in all the Trendy Styles

Lobby Tech Talk topic #91 Previous topic | Next topic